Mares Mr22 Ruby...good Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurhanMuntasser,
Thanks for your advice...can you give me a little more details as to why it was not a good design and what was so problematic about it?

-Zef

The ruby never worked right and there were always problems with it. I used to own a dive center in NY and we were a Mares dealer and an authorized service center, we dealt with this regulator issues and there was never a complete resolution to these issues because of the ruby. I wouldn't touch it, invest your money for something more reliable and more current in design and availability.

the Poseidon MK3 first stage actually uses a ruby as well and it is proven design that works incredibly well, but like most things Italian, Mares never quite got it right. $100US, plus easily $150 for service cost with high risk of failure? Not my cup of tea. If the seller has it fixed and it is in known working condition and you reimburse him for the service, then maybe if total cost stays under about $250US, but agreed, there's a lot riding on that amount of maybes

would it be worth it for the 2 abyss second stages and gauge set?

maybe, but then if you don't stay with mares regs, service gets weird. If you're planning on coming back to the US I'd spend a bit more and find a reg that's more common over here. Scubapro and Apeks if you don't want to learn to DIY the service, Hog and Dive Rite if you do. What are your long term diving goals as that may also influence how you invest now

no particular long term goals..shor term goal is that I start a master diver course in a couple of weeks. I am not buying for me but instead for my wife and kids who also dive.

-Zef

I'm not a huge fan of the SCS (spherical cone seat/seal) that Mares used for a while (and the ruby seat is one of these) but it can be converted back to the regular style if you can get the parts.

Back
Top Bottom