Mares MR1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8251reefer

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the Mares M1 RGBM Dive Computer CONSOLE. I purchased the console at out LDS last year and I have only used it like 16 times since. I love everything about the computer except for the buttons. I need super human strength to actually push the buttons. My wife tried and with her tiny hands was unable to actually actuate the console. Does anyone else have this problem at all? Is this a design flaw? I can't see why it is so hard to actuate the buttons. If you are in log mode to get out of log mode you are suppose to push the two buttons. However, pushing the two buttons together at the same time took me forever to try and I gave up without accomplishing anything. I just took the batteries out and let it restart. I believe it is still under warranty, is MARES planning on fixing this for people that currently have these computers or are the owners simply stuck with a computer that it very difficult to operate if at all? I understand these were replaced by the MR2 console and the MR1 has since been discontinued by most everyone. Is this the reason why? Thanks if you can shed any light about this...

I have this exact same problem, I've only dove the computer 4 times and I'm fed up. I can't do a darn thing with the computers buttons. You need super human strength to push the buttons! Forget trying to do it with gloves on! Also, even though the computer shuts off after inactivity after about 3 days I hear what sounds like an alarm clock from my dive bag. No it's not a dive reminder it's MC1 telling me the batteries are dead.....Again! Does the thing nbot really turn off when it is off? I hate to remove/change the batteries cause that means more button pushing that will lead to carpel tunnel syndrom!!! I really, really need some help here!

Perhaps the clearance at the side of the button is wrong and salt water has dried in there, leaving a salt deposit that creates a lot of friction. That was the case with an Oceanic I had. Solved it by manipulating the button repeatedly in warm fresh water than once it was free squirting WD40 down the side. The problem never recurred.

NO it is not salt water. I used it in Fresh Spring DIVES the first 12 dives I did with the comp and it was always tight. I never got bothered by it cause I have strong hands but It says if you are in logbook mode to push the buttons together to get it to come out of logbook mode...It doesn't work as advertised cause you cannot possibly push both buttons at once. I was going to allow my son to use this to dive with but he is 16 and can't even push the buttons by themselves. My wife cannot as well. You really have to have strong hands and calloused finger tips to actuate the buttons which really sucks with 3mm + gloves on. It is actually painful...

Zak is calling me on Monday...

Last edited:
FWIW - the M2 buttons are much easier to push - I have both types, and yes the M1 buttons take a fair amount of effort to push. The downside to pulling the batteries is that you then must reset the clock and calendar. When I use the simulator on my M1 I find my thumb is quite sore after awhile... Underwater the buttons are much simpler to press as water pressure helps in the process, it's just above land that it is an issue it seems.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom