Mares Morphos Pro - help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fellow divers,

I want to buy a BCD and I was in doubt between Seaquest Pro Unlimited and Mares Morphos Pro.

When I almost decided to buy the Pro Unlimited, I learned that although it is a quite good BCD it is quite heavy and big to pack.

I read in Mares webpage that this BCD can be easily folded into a lightweight, compact "cocoon".

Does anyone know this Mares Morphos Pro and let me know about the quality of this BCD, and if it is really "compact" and lightweight.

Thank you

Regards

nunomix:
Does anyone know this Mares Morphos Pro and let me know about the quality of this BCD, and if it is really "compact" and lightweight.

If you want truly “compact,” try a BP/wing :wink:

The “Armchair Buoyancy Bag Design” of the Morphos Pro makes this BCD VERY bulky. The MRS (Mares-speak for weight pockets) are also sold seperately, IMHO, a bit of a scam. You also get the Airtrim System with the Morphos Pro instead of a conventional corrugated hose—that may or may not be what you want...

Thanks for your answer. If I would go for a BP+Wing, what would you recommend?

Thanks

nunomix:
If I would go for a BP+Wing, what would you recommend?

Well, backplates from different brands/manufacturers are very similar—I guess almost any brand will do but you have to consider what kind of diving you will be doing as you need to choose the material for your backplate i.e. ABS, aluminium, stainless steel etc. As for the wing, there are so many out there; Halcyon, OxyCheq, Dive Rite, OMS etc.. There is so much information on this board as to the pros and cons of the wings that I’ve mentioned, as well as factors to consider in choosing the material for your BP. There are also considerable debates concerning harness configuration. I suggest you do a search.

I am in the process of switching to a Halcyon stainless steel BP/Eclipse 30 wing (as I dive single tank). My reason for choosing Halcyon is that Halcyon and Dive Rite are the only two brands readily available here in Thailand. I also had the chance to try a Halcyon BP/Pioneer 27 wing earlier this year and was very impressed.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to borrow/rent a BP/wing and try it. See if you like it—many people do, as many don’t. Also, try and find a shop or someone with experience with BP/wing so that you’ll be fitted properly.

See also http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=94031

Nunomix,

It really depends on the type of diving that you plan on doing through your diving experience. I had a BP/W and went back to a BC. I now use a Mares Morphos and love it for it's simplicity. I also love the Airtrim system when taking pictures.

If you are planning to go into wreck, cave or technical diving, then go with the BP/W. But be aware that it's a kite in current. If you are just a rec diver and especially a warm water diver then the BP/W is overkill (IMHO).

I like the Morphos because it has most of the talents of the BP/W and the Airtrim system without being a kite in current. It is also a great travel BC because it packs so small. I would suggesut that you rent all of the BC/ or BP/W that you are interested in and try them for yourself. You will know what you like for sure. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Dive Smart;Dive Safe
Enjoy the Ride
:14:

Strictly speaking, it's not the armchair buoyancy bag that makes the Morphos Pro bulky; rather, it's the decently large side pockets, which don't really flatten out too well. Also, Mares "backplates" (no, not like BP/W backplate, but the part that supports the back of the bc) are solidly constructed and with their padding also gets a bit bulky.

However, all that said, it does compress into its cocoon wrapping to be a reasonable size. I stuff my fins, booties, the bc, weight pockets and misc clothes into a bag 24" in length, 11" in width, 12" in height (a soft-sided top-zipper duffel type bag). Almost carry-on size, but I usually check it because it's not that light with all that stuff in it.

-Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom