Mares Morphos or Icon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somewhereinla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I just sent back my brand new Mares Morphos Ltd edition. Reason: I bought a Large, and as it turn out needed a Medium.
This weekend I saw the New Mares Icon, and I am starting to wonder If I shouldn't get the Icon instead? I like the fact that the Icon seem to be less bulky.But it is $200 more expensive... Any Advices certainly would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

ps: I'll like to keep the comments between the Morphos and The Icon. I know there are other great brands, but for now I am only considering those 2. Thank you.

Is the Morphos Ltd. the one with the "airtrim" device on it? I know the "pro" has it, not sure of the Ltd. If so, pray you never have to orally inflate the BC, because the inflator valve is in an awkward position. I sort of look at the Morphos w/airtrim as about two steps removed from the HUB--not a big fan of it.

Morphos is last year's model, apparently, so that accounts for the lower price. The Icon is the latest and greatest.

The apparent lack of bulk on the Icon is due to the fact that it's a back-inflate model. Since you're making us choose between the two, I'd go with the Icon.

Actually, I disagree...I had the Morphos for a week (before sending it back) and the "oral inflator" is actually very easy to use and work quite well. And yes, the Morphos Ltd has the Airtrim system, and the price is very low right now.

somewhereinla:
Actually, I disagree...I had the Morphos for a week (before sending it back) and the "oral inflator" is actually very easy to use and work quite well. And yes, the Morphos Ltd has the Airtrim system, and the price is very low right now.

I concur. :D

And I double concur!!! Very easy to inflate orally!!:coffee:

Somewhere, I think a major factor in your choice should be about the airtrim. Do you think you will like it? If so, stick with the Morphos. Personally, this was the sales pitch for me! Always having the inflator at the same place, no flopping around, and being able to release air in almost any position... I loved the concept, it works really well, I'm not going back... unless some day I have to :shakehead :shakehead (read Mares retires the airtrim system, or makes a better one...:rofl3: ).

Add to that, it's 200$ cheaper just because it' not the current model! You can get lots of gooddies for 200$.. or even better, put it into getting some bottom time somewhere nice...

This is just my 0.02$ on it!:coffee:

the "oral inflator" is actually very easy to use and work quite well.

Fair enough. You're in Cali, right? Do it in heavy swells in a rescue situation. :D Or better yet, rely on your buddy to do it under the same circumstances.

One of my BCs is a Mares Jubilee (back inflate, and it works nicely), so this isn't brand prejudice. When I looked at the airtrim system I initially liked the idea, but decided against it after thinking on it a bit. I've never met a valve that won't stick once in a while, so I came down on the side of simplicity. And the Icon is a back inflate, which is my preferred style. Back inflate alone is worth the $200 to me.

Any reason you're not trying out the Icon at your LDS to see if you like it rather than seeking our opinions? That's the fastest way to see if you like it.

Fair enough. You're in Cali, right? Do it in heavy swells in a rescue situation. Or better yet, rely on your buddy to do it under the same circumstances.

I do agree with you that I would have to show my dive buddy where and how the oral inflator works, and probably a quick tutorial on the airtrim system as well. But all of it is pretty easy, not much Rocket science there...

As far as heavy swells, I can't tell for sure of course, but the oral inflator hose is quite long when fully deployed, it actually might be easier for a buddy to inflate it than using a regular power inflator.

Furthermore, the airtrim system is nice, but I could do without it if need be. However I would say that it seems to be the future (at least for recreation use) as other companies such as aqualung (seaquest), Cressi,and I know there is at least one more... are coming out with similar systems.

I do plan to go to a store and try one on, but I know that it won't help much, you don't get much feed back trying it in a store. It's a bit like a car test drive, how much will you learn driving it around a couple of blocks? I don't know of any scuba stores that let you try any of their BC's underwater.

The dive shops I deal with will let you demo stuff in the pool if you're a serious buyer (or a student), so I made the (incorrect) assumption that you had the same resource available. Sorry for that mistake.

The important thing is that you're comfortable with your equipment and you're confident that your buddies will be good with it, too. If you're happy with the Morphos, then by all means, purchase it. You know how opinions are. :)

You are lucky... I will do more research and see if I can find a store that does that. I don't know any, but it doesn't mean there isn't one.
Thanks for the constructive advices/comments... I guess the first BC is probably the hardest piece of equipment to buy, since I don't have enough experience to really know what I need and want...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom