Mares Matrix for first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Youngandfree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What are your thoughts on a Mares Matrix for a first computer for a newbie? I'm still learning and looking to prioritize order of buying gear. My head is saying a wrist worn computer is a good thing to have while I can rent different types of gear to decide what I want to buy. One of the features I'd want to have is the built in compass. I'm not going to be doing any technical type diving any time soon, possibly never. But the Matrix seems to have a good list of features. Amazon has them priced at $599 and I've seen some new on Ebay listed for $350. Are there different variations of the Matrix that would indicate 2 drastic price points, or are there older versions maybe that are less desirable, and the cheaper ones are new old stock? At $600 I would be willing to splurge. At $350 it's a definite option, provided those sellers check out.

I'm new here and been lurking for a couple weeks now, I'm trying to get 2 more dives done with our local dive shop before November when they stop going, because these two dives are free and the closest to me. If I can get a computer before then great, if not I know what's going on my Christmas list.​

I'll be watching this forum too as I'm also considering it as well. I haven't seen them on ebay for $350, but will be watching. I too like the compass feature, but I'm curious if it does its job well or is a little gimmicky.

What are your thoughts on a Mares Matrix for a first computer for a newbie? I'm still learning and looking to prioritize order of buying gear. My head is saying a wrist worn computer is a good thing to have while I can rent different types of gear to decide what I want to buy. One of the features I'd want to have is the built in compass. I'm not going to be doing any technical type diving any time soon, possibly never. But the Matrix seems to have a good list of features. Amazon has them priced at $599 and I've seen some new on Ebay listed for $350. Are there different variations of the Matrix that would indicate 2 drastic price points, or are there older versions maybe that are less desirable, and the cheaper ones are new old stock? At $600 I would be willing to splurge. At $350 it's a definite option, provided those sellers check out.

I'm new here and been lurking for a couple weeks now, I'm trying to get 2 more dives done with our local dive shop before November when they stop going, because these two dives are free and the closest to me. If I can get a computer before then great, if not I know what's going on my Christmas list.​
I've been using a Mares Matrix for the past four years and over a hundred dives. Its given me no problems so far and its readability under water is great. Additionally, since its rechargeable, it removes the necessity of having to replace batteries and the charging cable also serves as the download cable for dive data which is good. Each full charge is good for at least a dozen dives if not more.

I bought this as my first dive computer and I don't really use the built in compass or the capability of 3 gas mixes and nor do I think I will use them in the future.

The computer itself is slightly bigger than a digital watch and much smaller than the puck style dive computers.

My wife and daughter use the Puck Pro which uses the same algorithm and except for the data cable and compass, offers more or less the same functionality for significantly less money. If you search online, you might also find deals on the Puck Pro + data cable for less than $200.

Depending on your diving plans in the future and your budget, you might find that the Puck Pro offers better bang for buck overall.

Here are some reviews off of Leisure Pro http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsnm/mares-matrix-wrist-computer?utm_campaign=LowerFunnel

The rechargeable battery seems to be an issue with some of the customers and personally I have been on a number of dives where I have needed to change a battery for myself or others on the fly. Spare batteries in a SAD kit make it simple but a rechargeable takes time and if the rechargeable battery has degraded it has to be sent back to the manufacture to be changed.

On the spec’s side, I am not a fan of the RBGM based algorithms. I started with a RBGM based computer and after a year switched to an Oceanic. I found this style of algorithm to be overly conservative for the style of diving I do, warm water drift diving with low RVM rates. On the flip side I have noticed a lot folks who dive colder and more physically challenging waters who swear by them. I liked the flexibility of a dual algorithm computer like the Oceanic’s that had the very liberal DSAT algorithm for low stress diving or a more conservative Pz + (Buhlmann) for use in a more physically challenging dive.

That being said I recently bit the bullet and got a Perdix. Hands down the best computer I have ever used.

I'll be watching this forum too as I'm also considering it as well. I haven't seen them on ebay for $350, but will be watching. I too like the compass feature, but I'm curious if it does its job well or is a little gimmicky.
I've been using Matrix for two years now, and it is pretty much as @sameer.oundhakar says. Compass can be used, but it is not great for really pinpoint navigation. Now it is relegated to back up, as a bottom timer. If you use any sort of suit, you should consider getting you tech straps for it, since stock ones are not that long, and rubber extension cost similarly, and I feel tech straps are more secure.

That being said I recently bit the bullet and got a Perdix. Hands down the best computer I have ever used.
^^^^ What he said.

It's been a year...any additional feedback on the Mares Matrix, by chance? This computer caught my addention due to the features and ability to swap out the junky rubber band (not common for x < $500 computers).

A couple questions:

-One review said that this is not a newbie friendly computer. Why? From looking at the instruction manual, it appears to be user friendly, from a menu navigation and in-water use standpoint.

- The Mares Tech Strap...is that no longer available in the U.S.? The only listings for the tech strap I see show it as discontinued. If I can't get that, I have a 20mm Crown & Buckle zulu strap that I can use with it.

I would appreciate any input that you can offer.

-One review said that this is not a newbie friendly computer. Why? From looking at the instruction manual, it appears to be user friendly, from a menu navigation and in-water use standpoint.
It was my first dive computer. How many reviews did you read, apart from that one? It is easier than comparable Suunto, IMHO.
As for the tech strap, it was quite hard to find even then. OTOH, I have seen a solution which does require a little bit of effort. Guy had a regular strap failure. He cut off both ends, made some kind of ring fixture at each end and put bungee instead.

It was my first dive computer. How many reviews did you read, apart from that one? It is easier than comparable Suunto, IMHO.
As for the tech strap, it was quite hard to find even then. OTOH, I have seen a solution which does require a little bit of effort. Guy had a regular strap failure. He cut off both ends, made some kind of ring fixture at each end and put bungee instead.

I checked out several websites (everywhere I could find that sells it online) and dozens of reviews, in total.

The review/website in question that concluded that it's "too complex for beginners" is below.

Mares Matrix Dive Computer Review: Compact Powerhouse?

That particular summary of the review...I didn't get. Most of the reviews I saw had nothing but good things to say about the Matrix. Either that or the complaints were things that I didn't care about (ex. Rubber straps) or things that sounded more like operator error.

On the rubber strap failure...I've lost track of how many that I've read about for one dive computer or another. I'm at a loss as to why more companies don't design their dive computers so that users can swap out to a different style strap.

On Suunto...the Zoop Novo is another one that I have been considering. Per the concern above though...I'm not really wanting that style strap.

OK, I went through that review. While it seems it is not beginner friendly, they just listed its capabilities, nothing less, nothing more.
Word of advice though: Be very honest with yourself at this moment. What are your goals? Your profile list you as a beginner, I was at that same position a short time ago.
If you want to progress further, you WILL need "better" computer. When I have started, BPW was "too technical", deco diving, drysuit....out of question. Now, I'm doing all of that. If that's the case, save yourself some money, buy a Puck Pro, or something similar. Because it will be relegated to a backup.

OK, I went through that review. While it seems it is not beginner friendly, they just listed its capabilities, nothing less, nothing more.
Word of advice though: Be very honest with yourself at this moment. What are your goals? Your profile list you as a beginner, I was at that same position a short time ago.
If you want to progress further, you WILL need "better" computer. When I have started, BPW was "too technical", deco diving, drysuit....out of question. Now, I'm doing all of that. If that's the case, save yourself some money, buy a Puck Pro, or something similar. Because it will be relegated to a backup.

I am a beginner. However, I also have a Nitrox cert and intend to dive with that when possible. That and my requirement for backlit screen and a few other things take some of the entry level computers out of the running.

My OW/Nitrox course was with an instructor that was more technical minded, so I'm planning on adopting that perspective with my gear. ex. Donate primary and retain back-up on a necklace.

Getting an advanced cert would be my short-term goal. My eventual goal would be to work towards a self-sufficient/solo cert (100+ dives from now).

I pick up my BC (HOG) and regulators (HOG D3 w/Zenith) tomorrow. I went that route because I used them during my course, I liked them, and they were decent enough gear that I shouldn't be itching to upgrade too soon.

I've got the same outlook on the computer. I would rather go ahead and get a computer that I will being happy with for a while (feature and accessibility wise) then settle for something that I'm not going to be happy with from day one and can't wait to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom