Mares Limited Edition Proton Regulator Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

Would it be possible to send my regulator to Mares for inspection/repairs? I just purchased a Mares Limited Edition Metal proton regulator and it has a fluttering sensation when you breathe in. It definitely is not the noise that many Mares second stage make when their isn't any pressure on the inhalation diaphragm.

I can actually feel a feedback through the hose when the sensation occurs. I can notice it while diving but not the same degree and is almost imperceptible underwater. Has anyone encountere this?

Since it wasn't purchased through an authorized dealer, I do not expect any warranty coverage.

Thanks,
Claude

Hi Claude, is it a kind of deep vibration combined with a "honking" noise? My V16 did this a bit at first but rapidly "broke in and stopped" doing it. It did it primarily out of the water. In the water it was very weak for the first few dives. Then it completely disapeared (when diving). Out of the water, it will occasionally still do it a bit...

If this sounds familiar, it might just be a break in period!

Hope this helps!:coffee:

Hi Claude,

Yes, it can be sent in but:
Where are you located?
Did you purchase it new or used?

Phil

Hello Phil:

I purchased the regulator on Ebay. Seller reported that it was brand new and had never been used. I would agree with his assessment from my inspection when I received the regulator. I'm in San Jose, California.

Thanks,
Claude

Claude,

Please contact our CS department, 203 855 8666, ask for Joe. He will give you the info on sending it in for service as well as the labor costs.

This is why we recommend purchasing new equipment from an authorized dealer. The dealer could have checked it and made the proper adjustments at the time of purchase.

Regards,

Phil

While this thread is a little old, I'd like to hear your outcome Claude as my limited edition proton does this as well. The service guy at my LDS always gets it to go away, but it still happens sometimes on a full tank.

Hi M:

I'm still awaiting the return of my regulator. I've noticed the sensation at full tank (3300PSI) and with it nearly empty (100-200PSI). Hopefully, it's just an adjustment issue instead of a malfunction.

Claude

Hi Guys:

I just got my reg back from Mares. The problem has been resolved. The tech's notes reports a leak from the high pressure seat, which was replaced. Hooked up my reg to my nearly depleted tank (about 300psi). Regulator breathes like a charm.

Thanks for the speedy service.

Claude

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom