Mares Kaila Womens BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boyerk77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello I am looking at buying the Mares Kaila Womens BC and was wondering if anyone has it and could tell me if they like it or if anyone has heard anything good or bad about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Kristie

Mares makes high quality products, so you won't go wrong there. However, FIT is everything. If the Kaila fits you well, has the features you want, and is in your price range, there's no reason not to go for it! Buy with confidence once you find the BC that fits you like a glove.

I own one and I love it. After trying different BC's this is the best fit for me.

I've had mine since Aug08 - I love the fit and comfortable padding but I have two complaints. It is hard to get all air released. I have to move around a lot, usually turning so my left side is up. I spend a lot of time trying to get air unstuck so I can refine buoyancy. Also the pockets are pretty much unusable for storage because of the integrated weights. I imagine that this is a problem you'd have with any weight integrated BC. The Kalia is the only one I've used so I can't compare. The only other BC's I've used were rental men's and this is by far better than that!

Julie

I have the Kaila and I love it! I've done about 80 dives with it, and it's excellent.

The pockets store my flashlight and a rescue buoy - I don't find them too small even with the integrated weight pockets.

The pockets are easy to remove and put back into place again.

I don't have a problem getting the air out. After I've dumped all I can with my inflator valve, I scoot my rear up a little and pull the dump valves, and voila, the trapped air goes out.

It's really comfortable and fits nicely.

My only complaints: I wish it folded smaller for travel, but oh well, and I wish that it was a little easier to get to the back trim pockets, but they're underneath the lumbar support (which makes the BC so dang comfy), so I just shoved small soft weights in there and leave them in. It makes the BC a little heavier, but it works for me!

I have a friend who has one, too, and she loves it as well! But try it on and see how you like it. Everyone's different.

I've been looking at this one too, maybe the Aliikai.

Hello,

2 Days ago I buy Mares Kaila with integradet mrs plus weight system. Yestrday I go on my first dive with new jacket and left integrated weight system fall out and I go up, but we didnt know why. ME and my buddy did't notice that weight fall out because the current was so strong, when we came into no current I try to do buoyency but we saw I don't have left weight anymore. We went out and I tested how strong it is. I think my left weight system has faliure. BEacause I put right weight pocket to left one, I check if everything it's good and it was, then I shake BCD 3 times like I was quickly moving in the water and weight pocket fall out.

Is this happend to anyone else? How can you use this bcd on the ship when you have to do jump strike?
What should I do? The BCD is in warranty because I buy it 3 days ago. Will Mares change the bcd and how long does it take it?

Hello,

2 Days ago I buy Mares Kaila with integradet mrs plus weight system. Yestrday I go on my first dive with new jacket and left integrated weight system fall out and I go up, but we didnt know why. ME and my buddy did't notice that weight fall out because the current was so strong, when we came into no current I try to do buoyency but we saw I don't have left weight anymore. We went out and I tested how strong it is. I think my left weight system has faliure. BEacause I put right weight pocket to left one, I check if everything it's good and it was, then I shake BCD 3 times like I was quickly moving in the water and weight pocket fall out.

Is this happend to anyone else? How can you use this bcd on the ship when you have to do jump strike?
What should I do? The BCD is in warranty because I buy it 3 days ago. Will Mares change the bcd and how long does it take it?

Hi,

The MRS Plus weight system should not come out of the receptacle without direct pulling on the red handle. My suggestion is to take it back to the authorized dealer you purchased it from for their analysis. If you purchased it new and from an authorized dealer, the BCD is under warranty for two years. The dealer will be able to help you either replace or repair depending upon the issue.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

We went with the Seaquest / Aqualung new PEARL BC from Leisure Pro on line. It fits my wife perfectly and has room for her to lose weight, which she intends to do. They offer a Medium and a Medium Large,and a Large. At age 65 and an out of shape body The M/L fit her the best after trying them on in a LDS.

I take it back to authorized dealer they send it back to Mares now I can wait what they will do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom