Mares ICON hold tanks OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver4377

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought a Mares Icon. Like it mostly, but not much storage space. Actually, havn't gotten it wet yet as I may return it. My concern is that it seems to hold the tank weird, sort of low and top heavy so the top of the tank tilts away from the bcd. Anybody out there with a wet Icon? Any problems with this? How do you like it. Appreciate any insight I can get before I own it permanently.

I owned one for about a year and was very happy with it. Unfortunately I did not fit the Large size very well. I'm 6'0 and weigh 190lbs and the entire BC would tend to shift around alot. I think that it is a really good travel BC as it does roll up extremely small making it fit in baggage easily. It is also very light. As I had an opportunity to change my mind, I did. I boughta bp/w and would never go back. They cost the same, I can add remove anything I want now or may want later, with an aluminum plate they weight within one lbs, they transport easily as the backplate and wing can be separated, and most importantly the most extreme dives ever done have been done in a bp/w. So all the advantages without any disadvantages. The pb/w isn't pretty, but then again neither am I!

Elvisisalive; thank you for your post, am glad to hear it. And I like the way it folds up for travel also. Dive on!

I have the ICON and taken it on a few dive trips and one liveaboard. I can't really say how it looks when it's on my back out the water, but it works. I agree with the OP regarding storage, but it's a travel BC. I was able to rig a knife, strobe and SMB to mine. I also modified it with a crotch strap to address the fit issue. My problem is that I don't need a crotch strap with a drysuit, but with a shorty in warm waters it tends to move around alot. Another short coming that might affect you is the weight payload. I come pretty close the max when wearing a drysuit and a steel tank, but need a secondary weight belt when using a AL tank. But, then again it's a travel BC and can't have all the bells and whistles while being compact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom