Mares Ice vs Zeagle ZX/DS-V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I service Mares regs all the time and they are very easy to work on and adjust. I've never had problems with them. I have used Zeagle in the past and they were good regs as well. It really comes down to your personal choice. I would look at how easy it will be to get the reg serviced in your area. If there is a Mares dealer and no Zeagle dealer then the Zeagle will have to be shipped out to be serviced which will cost you a few extra days and shipping costs.

Scott

Piper Kate:
I concur in the past some of the Mares service was less that exemplary. Today it is a new day. Due to the pure simplicty [of the] mechanical design they are hands down the best. Unlike many other brands.

Oh really? That just sounds slightly wrong. On the face of it.

Proton Ice would be my choice. I own one and I have had it in 42 degrees and 87 degrees of water. It has been the best reg. I have ever owned. I had it service this year and no problem with the process.

Hope this helps.

Hi all... I'm so appreciative of all the info! Thanks a ton! It really helps out hearing the pros and cons experienced by more seasoned divers.

Greg Barlow:
The second stage has a lot less parts and the tuning procedure is very straightforward.
Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Its not really a lot less parts and this is, effectively, irrelevant to you whether you are servicing your regulator or not. Under water, the "tuning procedure" is way more simple, intuitive, and immediate with an adjustable regulator than one you must take some where, on land, to be "tuned."

Mama Mynet:
Thanks for the quick reply. The more I do the research, the more I'm inclined to go with the Zeagle line of products. They seem to have a great reputation and quality of products.

Mares is such a commercial line that I am told by LDS that that is the way to go... But I get the impression that Zeagle offers a better product and customer service, whereas Mares is a tad overrated????

I found the Zeagle for anywhere between 250 - 500 us dollars. I'm having a hard time finding the Zeagle ZX/DS-V.
Try Dans dive shop Each Zeagle will cost you $400.00cnd Talk to Matt
You will be able to do rec or tec with this reg

Howdy!

Well ya'll answered my question. I am living in Texas/Oklahoma but am moving up north and was wanting to expereince cold water diving. The Mares Proton Ice was suggested to me by Larry - SCUBATOYS.com (Great fellow Texans!). After reading your reviews and thoughts I think I am going to take the plunge and go ahead with the purchase. Thank you very much.

:salute:

Mama Mynet:
I've narrowed it down to the Zeagle ZX/DS-V or the Mares Ice... Will be diving in cold and warm and in different environments (rec diving)... If you know of a possible better reg please let me know... These are worth a pretty penny so I want to make the best decision. Thanks a ton.

Mares and Zeagle both make quality products. Both are good regs and you can't go wrong with either. Even the best branded reg can fail if the user cannot service it properly or tune it to suit the severe conditions. My advice will be to buy the one that is easier or cheaper to service near you. Don't bother too much about "XX Brand rulez" or "YY Brand sux" banter. In the end, I really doubt most people can tell the difference if they dive either blind.

I dive the Ice. Serves me well.

spudusaf:
Howdy!

Well ya'll answered my question. I am living in Texas/Oklahoma but am moving up north and was wanting to expereince cold water diving. The Mares Proton Ice was suggested to me by Larry - SCUBATOYS.com (Great fellow Texans!). After reading your reviews and thoughts I think I am going to take the plunge and go ahead with the purchase. Thank you very much.

:salute:
I ended up getting the Zeagle Flathead VI. And I LOVE it. I think that the choice of regs/octo really depends on what your goals are as a diver. Hope you like the Ice. I hear it's a good product. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom