Mares Ice vs Zeagle ZX/DS-V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mama Mynet

Contributor
Reaction score
I've narrowed it down to the Zeagle ZX/DS-V or the Mares Ice... Will be diving in cold and warm and in different environments (rec diving)... If you know of a possible better reg please let me know... These are worth a pretty penny so I want to make the best decision. Thanks a ton.

Mama Mynet:
I've narrowed it down to the Zeagle ZX/DS-V or the Mares Ice... Will be diving in cold and warm and in different environments (rec diving)... If you know of a possible better reg please let me know... These are worth a pretty penny so I want to make the best decision. Thanks a ton.

Go for the Zeagle it is a simple reg to work on and will go any place your planing to dive.Ice to the tropics. In Canada they are going for 400.00 each.

scottmc:
Go for the Zeagle it is a simple reg to work on and will go any place your planing to dive.Ice to the tropics. In Canada they are going for 400.00 each.
Thanks for the quick reply. The more I do the research, the more I'm inclined to go with the Zeagle line of products. They seem to have a great reputation and quality of products.

Mares is such a commercial line that I am told by LDS that that is the way to go... But I get the impression that Zeagle offers a better product and customer service, whereas Mares is a tad overrated????

I found the Zeagle for anywhere between 250 - 500 us dollars. I'm having a hard time finding the Zeagle ZX/DS-V.

I am a fan of both brands, but the Mares is actually easier to service. The second stage has a lot less parts and the tuning procedure is very straightforward. That said, both are excellent regs that will easily meet the needs of 99% of the world's dives.

The manufacturing quality of both brands is very high. I would suggest that you purchase the one that you can get reliable service for. It makes little sense to buy a reg if you must ship it off, or drive a considerable distance to get it in the hands of a reputable technician.

If you are traveling abroad on a regular basis I would suggest the Mares products. While Zeagle is making inroads in the world market, they still are not nearly as popular overseas as Mares and some of the other major brands. Here in the States, Zeagle products are very common and a dealer is likely to be fairly close to your home.

Either product line will more than meet your needs. My Mares and Apeks (the inspiration for Zeagle's models) regs are at home under the ice and in balmy waters.

Have fun shopping! I would suggest that you contact scubatoys.com for either line. Their prices and service are very tough to match.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Greg Barlow:
I am a fan of both brands, but the Mares is actually easier to service. The second stage has a lot less parts and the tuning procedure is very straightforward. That said, both are excellent regs that will easily meet the needs of 99% of the world's dives...
Have fun shopping! I would suggest that you contact scubatoys.com for either line. Their prices and service are very tough to match.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

That SO MUCH!!! I really appreciate the honest input. :) That's funny that you mentioned scubatoys.com (they are marked as a favorite on my browser...LOL)

Mama Mynet:
That SO MUCH!!! I really appreciate the honest input. :) That's funny that you mentioned scubatoys.com (they are marked as a favorite on my browser...LOL)

I've been impressed with Larry's posts, and have yet to hear any negative comments regarding their shop.

It pays to be a smart businessman!

Best of luck!

Greg

Mama Mynet:
I'll join in and mention thw MR22/Abyss which is on sale @ Scubatoys :wink:
Hard to beat for this price :wink:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AbyssMR22

Zeagle. Adjustable, environmentally sealed, great warranty and parts support, multi environment performace, good exhaust dispersion, do I need to say more?

Mares has a bad reputation sometimes for service and warranty. Nonetheless few regualtors will breath as easily or be as durable as their metal versions. I have several Mares products that have proven durable and have stood the test of time. My next regs will be the Protons, it is a small, light, simple, super performance regulator, decent price and excellent durability.
It seems the tech guys like the Apeks and the Zeagles and I believe that is mostly beacuse both are good quality and they provide parts to the field, ie, you can get hold of the bits and pieces yourself.
Given that most dive equipment made today is near total junk, hats off to the few companies like Apecks, Zeagle and yes Mares that still produce professional quality products. N

Nemrod:
Mares has a bad reputation sometimes for service and warranty. Nonetheless few regualtors will breath as easily or be as durable as their metal versions. I have several Mares products that have proven durable and have stood the test of time. My next regs will be the Protons, it is a small, light, simple, super performance regulator, decent price and excellent durability.
It seems the tech guys like the Apeks and the Zeagles and I believe that is mostly beacuse both are good quality and they provide parts to the field, ie, you can get hold of the bits and pieces yourself.
Given that most dive equipment made today is near total junk, hats off to the few companies like Apecks, Zeagle and yes Mares that still produce professional quality products. N
I concur in the past some of the Mares service was less that exemplary. Today it is a new day. Service has been overhauled and they are back in the game of taking care of customers.
Mares by far has the best cold water and recreational regulators for many reasons. Due to the pure simplicty and mechanical design they are hands down the best.
You will not be dissatisfied by purchasing a reputable regulator, from a major manufacturer that actually designs, and manufacturers from chalk board to actual product. Unlike many other brands.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom