Mares Genius Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The unit must be huge! It uses a 18650!

I don't think the unit is huge. I would guess it is about the size of the ICON. The replacement battery I bought for my ICON a while back (as a backup since the computer was discontinued) from Leisure Pro was a 18650.

Although it does not show the clip, the back of the Genius looks like it still uses a chip like connection similar to the Icon. I see two depressions in the back that might fit addition prongs on the new clip to help with alignment. But just guessing.
View attachment 496553
The clip is shown a little over 2 min into the promo video at the bottom of the Genius webpage Computer Genius

I don't think the unit is huge. I would guess it is about the size of the ICON. The replacement battery I bought for my ICON a while back (as a backup since the computer was discontinued) from Leisure Pro was a 18650.
Considering the 18650 is 20mm inch longer than a AA and 4mm larger in diameter, that makes the ICON/GENIUS a good bit larger than the Perdix, which is already large. I can't find any dimensions listed for those Mares computers, including in their instruction manual, so it must not be something they want to talk about!

Ad you linked did not say, found another that states "not included" Genius Dive Computer

Same price you found for the computer $914, transmitters $231 each

Uses the same transmitter as the Icon and the Quad. If you have one - don't need to buy another.

Considering the 18650 is 20mm inch longer than a AA and 4mm larger in diameter, that makes the ICON/GENIUS a good bit larger than the Perdix, which is already large. I can't find any dimensions listed for those Mares computers, including in their instruction manual, so it must not be something they want to talk about!

The 18650 battery length (for the ICON) is about 70 mm if that helps you. The width of the ICON is just slightly larger than the battery.

Hey Kharon..

I bet you are sooooooooo pleased that the tank indicator made its way to the Genius display. LOL

Well, I wasn't going to buy one anyway, even if they did go to an entirely numeric display. But, yeah, I think the tank icon is just stupid and lacks any real definition or utility. You never know where in each range you are without looking at the number, and a colored number would give the same "at a glance" information that the colored tank does. Just plain dumb.

Well, I wasn't going to buy one anyway, even if they did go to an entirely numeric display. But, yeah, I think the tank icon is just stupid and lacks any real definition or utility. You never know where in each range you are without looking at the number, and a colored number would give the same "at a glance" information that the colored tank does. Just plain dumb.

I like the idea of a bigger tank pressure number that changes color as the tank does. That is a great idea. Take note Mares !!!

Although it does not show the clip, the back of the Genius looks like it still uses a chip like connection similar to the Icon. I see two depressions in the back that might fit addition prongs on the new clip to help with alignment. But just guessing.
View attachment 496553
Aligning the clip on my Icon is an absolutely miserable job. The clip blocks my view of the pin pads, and there is no positive physical feedback when the connection is made. The "charging" indicator on the screen is the only way to tell, but even that does not guarantee a good data connection. I'm sure those 2 dimples are to locate the clip, and IMHO it's a much-needed improvement.

Back
Top Bottom