Mares Flexa 8-6-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanLee1521

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone have the Mares Flexa 8-6-5 wetsuit? I've previously dove a rental Xcel and a borrowed ONeill, and just wanted to get some opinions / reviews from anyone that dives it.

Thanks!

I'm also wondering if anyone here has any experience with this suit. It looks like it could be close to semi-dry if it isn't already that, and I have found a good price for it.

So I decided to go with the Flexa, and I am glad I did. Thanks to some nice price matching, I was able to score it for $250. This is a great suit. Really comfortable, no zippers on the cuffs, smoothskin on every opening. I'm mating it with a Pinnacle 7 / 4mm hooded vest with smoothskin neck, XS Dry 5 gloves, and Henderson 7mm H2 zipperless boots. I'm doing my check out ocean dive in Monterey this weekend, so I'm hoping for generally semi-dry experience. Even if it ends up with water inside it, I should be nice and toasty.

Please post your after-dive thoughts on this suit. thx

So I did my first dives with this suit. It is a great suit. I dove on a couple beaches at Monterey, with the water apparently 48 or 50F. First, the suit is incredibly comfortable. Snug without pinching or stifling. I used it along with a Pinnacle 7mm hooded vest, XS Dry 5 gloves, and Henderson H2 7MM boots. I recommend zipperless boots, zippered boots with a covered zipper, or wear zippered boots over the suit's leg cuffs. Otherwise, they could damage the smoothskin cuffs. I did two dives 45 minutes dives each day, and I didn't notice the cold at all. It felt like I could have stayed in the water for 2 hours without an getting cold. It is definitely not a semi-dry suit, but because of seals, there is absolutely no flushing and the water you first get into the suit stays in the suit. The coldest I got was taking the suit off after I was done for the day. I met a woman who was wearing a Mares Trilastic 8.6.5 and it seems to be the same suit but for women. We compared notes and both of us seemed to have the same, positive experiences: no getting cold, no flushing, very comfortable. While I was expecting a semi-dry experience and it turned out not be be the case, I was still very toasty. It was definitely better than the 7mm XCEL rental the shop was providing. I'm thinking it will stand up to any 7mm suit. I highly recommend it.

Oh, I also forgot. The picture Mares uses for the Flexa suit showing the front zipper is the updated European version. The one sold in North America has a back zipper. I would have loved the front zipper, but it's the same suit regardless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom