Mares fin comparrison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

totterfield

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, i`m after a pair of fins with good top speed and acceleration to play UW hockey, can anyone tell me if the Mares PLANA AVANTI TRE full foot fins are as stiff and good as the Mares PLANA AVANTI HP????
heard that the TRE are a bit softer, the stiffer the better i think
any opinions are welcomed
Thanks
Tom

If you're free diving, then it's generally better to go stiff because you get more power and sudden acceleration= good for hunting and bringing up a 200lb white sea bass. But as for scuba, sudden acceleration means that you might be going into the vicious cycle of over-exertion, sucking air, tiring, and all that good stuff.

With all that said,
i've used both plana avanti and quattro, and I found plana to be stiffer while generating less power than quattro. Still after trying on various split fins and volo power, I can safely say that both plana and quattro are quite stiff for scuba fins. In my personal opinion, and as much of a die hard fan for volo as I am, split fins really is the "future moled" for the fins. (really, why would you wanna chase after makos and whale sharks in scuba anyway?)

I appretiate that, but for under water hockey acceleration and speed are needed, also in the uk you cannot buy the quattro full foot fins anymore, so for me it`s between the TRE with 3 channels or the HP with 2 channels, anybody know which are stiffer?????

Tom

Yea... or a pair of bluewater freediving fins, your poolmates might not like you much after one game, but damn those things are fast. Burns through a snicker bar like that too! ::snap fingers::

If it's not too late, you will be more satisfied with the x-3. More power, more effecient, and better maneuvering. For the few dollars extra you won't be disappointed.

Greetings totterfield!
Hey... to be honest i do not know that much about water hockey.
{But you do say: for under water hockey acceleration and speed are needed.}
Have you heard of the Apollo bio split fin?
Not really sure if this fin is something useable, while you are playing water hockey.
But as far as fins go ~ it is rated Excellent by scuba diving magazine for:
Comfort
Thrust
Power
Acceleration
just a thought,that maybe this fin would work for you?

Let me now what you think...
Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom