Mares equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelw

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the board and have a quick question. I have gotten tired of renting gear, so I recently purchased some new Mares gear. I got the Mares Rover 2 and rover octo along with the mission 2 console. The second stage reg leaked freely out of the box (sent back and was replaced) and the depth guage is off by 12' at 92' (reads 80' at 92') Seems like that could be dangerous for someone just using tables and a bottom timer. I have looked for reviews but can find very little. Just interested in your thoughts on this and Mares equipment in general. Should I have spent more money?
Thanks.
EDIT: Also your thoughts on redundant depth guages for situations such as this. How many of you just use your dive computer with no redundant equipment.

FWIW, an "SPG" is a submersible pressure gauge and it's purpose is to measure the pressure in your tank. What you are referring to is a depth guage.

So how did you determine that it's "off"? FWIW depth gauges are typically measure depth in feet of salt water rather then at fresh water and the tables are designed for such. That woudn't account for that much of a difference though.

Also, when you say you sent the Mares back, does that mean you ordered online? Sometimes the cracking pressure just needs to be adjusted. It's possible that it wasn't broken.

FWIW, an "SPG" is a submersible pressure gauge and it's purpose is to measure the pressure in your tank. What you are referring to is a depth guage.

So how did you determine that it's "off"? FWIW depth gauges are typically measure depth in feet of salt water rather then at fresh water and the tables are designed for such. That woudn't account for that much of a difference though.

Also, when you say you sent the Mares back, does that mean you ordered online? Sometimes the cracking pressure just needs to be adjusted. It's possible that it wasn't broken.

Fixed the SPG (don't know what was going through my mind :) It was verified by my computer, my two of my buddie's computers, all reading spot on @ 92' while the Mares guage was reading dead flat @ 80'. Yes, it was an online purchase. Thanks... (aren't they all these days... Sad, but true...

I'd send it back as defective then. FWIW Mares is usually a decent brand but as with any brand you can get a bad one now and then.

Got a bunch of Mares stuff. Typically good quality. But with any brand you might get "that one" bad piece.

Most of my gear is Mares, although I use a Suunto computer. Usually pretty good quality, I own three Mares regs.

As for buying online, I would not buy a regulator online preferring to be able to have something as expensive as this from my LDS where I know I can at least take it back if something does not function as it should.

The odd piece might slip through the quality control net every now and then though as in most manufacturing plants.

Is it an altitude adjustable depth gauge?
If it is there will be a wheel on the side to reset the zero.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board and have a quick question. I have gotten tired of renting gear, so I recently purchased some new Mares gear. I got the Mares Rover 2 and rover octo along with the mission 2 console. The second stage reg leaked freely out of the box (sent back and was replaced) and the depth guage is off by 12' at 92' (reads 80' at 92') Seems like that could be dangerous for someone just using tables and a bottom timer. I have looked for reviews but can find very little. Just interested in your thoughts on this and Mares equipment in general. Should I have spent more money?
Thanks.
EDIT: Also your thoughts on redundant depth guages for situations such as this. How many of you just use your dive computer with no redundant equipment.

Where was this dive made at? You difference sounds due to altitude. If it is altitude then you will need altitude equiv tables to correct your depth gauge and no analog gauge they send you will be correct because they are all calibrate for dives at sea level.

Daru

Oops, there goes my troll account. :)

Last edited:
No, it's not adjustable. No the dive was not altitude, this was done here in Florida approx 80' above sea level.

Um, do you have more then one account? You weren't the OP, michaelw was.

On second thought, I remember you were selling some used Mares equipment awhile back. Should I assume michaelw bought his equipment used from you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom