Mares dumping their wrist mount HD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewbieScubyDoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My LDS (who doesn't like the Mares wrist mount HD icon) claims Mares is dumping it due to tech and firmware problems.

He further said, Mares sent out email, stating that they will no longer carry, and service these.

As I love mine, and own 3, is this the shop owners way of making me buy another brand that he carries?

Especially when the "Black edition" just came out?!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,
Well, your dealer seems to be misinformed. As you mentioned, we just launched a promotion with the new black edition Icon HD Net Ready 4.0. Anyone that purchases a new Icon HD will receive the transmitter for free, ending 8/31/14. With the new firmware version 4.0 (downloadable for free, from Mares website, compatible with all previous Icon HD net ready computers) the computer is very stable, tons of programmability, readability has been improved, new night screens, an on and on. No, we are not "dumping" the computer.

I would be interested to know who your dealer is, so we can make sure they are informed of our product development both future and current. If you would send me a PM, I'll make sure the local sales manager gives them a call. Hopefully it's just their misunderstanding.

Best,

Thanks Zak!

I assumed he was lying, as this isn't his first time saying something that just isn't true.

I just wanted to be sure.

There is no use in letting him know, as his distaste for Mares, on a whole, is unrelenting.

And as he doesn't push Mares product, it will only be sent in vain.

On a whole other note, I looked for the "Black Edition" and cannot find any shops online that carry it.

The usual shops, Diver Direct, Joe Scuba, etc... do not have it in their websites. And the one place I found it, only sells the wristmount and not the transmitter.

Any help where I can purchase one while the special offer is being honored, would be greatly appreciated!

Try LeisurePro, Scuba Toys, Scuba.com.

Also, I have it on good authority that Mares is already working on the next firmware update. I believe they will be supporting this computer for a very long time.

Try LeisurePro, Scuba Toys, Scuba.com.

+1 to ScubaToys. I was just on their website and they have a link to this computer on the home page. Once you are on the page for the computer you can select which edition you want.

Thanks everyone for their input!

A special, "shout out" to Zak Ohara who steered me to the right people!

I did, indeed, get one!

Quick question:

I read past threads where you couldn't keep the first generation transmitters, close to the wristmount when you store them between dives as it would drain the transmitter battery.

With this new firmware 4.0 transmitter, can I put both the wristmount and the transmitter together in a protective case?

I just want to be sure before I do!

Thanks again everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom