Mares Dual ADJ disassembled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

camo576

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using this forum for a while so I thought I had better give back. This is the new Dual ADJ octopus but it's a 52x from what I see. The poppet seal is now a shuttle seal with a hole through it. If anyone is interested I can do a take down and list o-rings and seal kit but as for an instruction from Mares on this reg, I have not found none.

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_045442382.jpg
    PXL_20220114_045442382.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 133
  • PXL_20220114_045633875.jpg
    PXL_20220114_045633875.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 159
  • PXL_20220114_045733959.jpg
    PXL_20220114_045733959.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 135
Wow, who would have ever thought that one day there would be balanced, barrel-type guts in a Mares seconds stage case body. That lever looks so wrong alongside that case. o_O

Anything you can give us would be great. This isn't covered by any of the manuals I've ever seen.

@rsingler Have you worked on any of these? Am I really seeing what I think I'm seeing?

Hello,
I am considering purchasing the dual adj 62x and would like your opinion as a technician about its build quality design robustness and any gotchas. Would you recommend this ref set?

If this was directed to me, I need to start with some caveats. First, I've been through rsingler's course and service my family's regs but I wouldn't call myself a technician. Second, my direct Mares experience is limited to the previous generation of these regs, specifically the 22, 32, 42 and 15 first stages and Proton/Proton metal and Rover/Prestige seconds.

That said, I would happily dive with the 62X Dual Adj. The second stage had been around for a few years and I haven't seen any complaints. And, while the first stage is new, it appears to be essentially the same internally as all the Mares diaphragm regs starting with the 22. The difference is that the body has been trimmed down as much as possible to allow for a more compact and lightweight reg.

I'm not a certified Tech by Mares or any other brand, but I am friends with one. The Dual Adjust has it's benefits and overall has a good feel to it. I am still using my Orbiter or Abyss as I just prefer them. The best bit is being able to shut down your occy to prevent a freeflow on water entry. The Dual Adj is tunable more so than some other brands as you can mess with cracking pressure and the adjustable range without changing springs. Compared to others, it's value for money without the needless shiney bits.

I'm very happy with my Protons (formerly plastic, now metal bodied). I like having seconds that require no fiddling and I don't see freeflows on water entry as a problem. If it happens, it just takes a second to turn the thing over to stop it.

Note that this will happen to all octos that are taken under face first unless they are so detuned by an external adjustor that they will be uncomfortable to breathe until and unless you remember to readjust it to dive mode.

Pendant the coolest thing that I notice is how far back they've moved the feet for lever engagement.
That means there's no threading through the spring before has flow gets to the barrel hole to the mouthpiece.

It's about time that Mares joins the balanced world. They've relied on their very stable first stages and slightly higher IP's for too long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom