Mares canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it were me I'd save my money for now. I have no idea at what rate you may plan to progress to a more advanced level of diving like cave or whatever, but at one time light technology was changing rapidly. It seemed every year at DEMA things in the lighting industry was in constant change. Things may have slowed up for now. But I'd wait and buy the latest and greatest when you may actually need it.

Exactly.

The only reason I own a corded (that is, canister) light at present--the used HID I mentioned--is that I have been training with GUE, and while GUE has nothing against non-corded (that is, hand-held) lights in principle, the instructors take the position that we should learn the skill of handling the light cord because the technology, though improving rapidly, still hasn't made them obsolete, and it's quite possible a diver might need to borrow or rent one in a pinch. I bought the HID with the hope that by the time I really NEEDED a primary light for tech diving, the hand-held technology would have matured. It's not there just yet.

Dive Gear Express has these on sale for $379 to $425. That's a lot of lumens for the price. Has anyone used these underwater yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom