Mares canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recent mentions of the Orcatorch canister light made me recall the Mares light, which seems to be more or less in the same class:

DCT Canister Light

Anyone have opinions?

Recent mentions of the Orcatorch canister light made me recall the Mares light, which seems to be more or less in the same class:

DCT Canister Light

Anyone have opinions?

I was very fortunate to demo all 3 versions of this light at DEMA in 2017. Here is our interview with Cat Braun from the development team.

DCT Canister Light

Anyone have opinions?

I also use the D620 from OrcaTorch and back it up with the OrcaTorch D520. So far I haven't really been able to make up my mind between the Mares DCT series and the OrcaTorch.

it's a light made by a company that doesn't make lights
it has a VERY wide beam for a technical dive light. It has a 12* beam angle, and UWLD gets sh!t for having an 8* beam angle instead of 6....
uses an annoying battery size to find true high quality cells as well as a high quality charger that can do all three cells at the same time
expensive for what it is
no way it gets the claimed output value or burn time *I'd buy about 90 minutes, not over 2 hours*

while I am a firm believe in canister lights, it comes from me being a cave diver. I rarely take my cans out in open water because there just isn't a need to do it for most people.

At $800 you'd be far better served going with a couple good quality handhelds until you find you need a canister, or if you need/really want a can, then go find a used UWLD. A nearly new Gen5 LD35 with the big battery just sold on Cave Diver Forum for $1000 a few weeks ago. You'd be much better served with something like that, a used HID for $400-$500, or some other products out there, especially if you are looking at cave diving or diving in the lakes here. That beam angle is just way too wide to be useful

Yeah, @tbone1004 , the 12 degree beam angle has me concerned that my DIR comrades would not approve. Okay, "concerned" is an understatement. :)

As for my situation, for the past year or so my wife and I have been using some LM HIDs that we bought used, with the idea that eventually we would upgrade to Halcyon, LM or UWLD. But the traditional designs are just so heavy and clunky for air travel--LM perhaps more so than UWLD. Although I know you have been critical of the Halcyon Focus/Flare, the slim battery is appealing. For these reasons, the Orcatorch and Mares caught my eye. But I'm unlikely to go for them.

do you actually need that much light?

here's the thing to look at
the LD-35-mini is the comparable light from them and I'm most familiar with it, so we'll go with that. Annoyingly the Mares website is useless and they don't actually list any facts about the light, but some googling got real information

both lights have 3x xml LED's
both have roughly 54wh battery packs *assuming you have good 5ah 26650's
Mares weighs ~1050grams with batteries
UWLD weighs ~1300 grams *battery not removable

Weight delta is ~.5lb, so not heavy or clunky at all, also remember that all of these MUST go in carryon, fun fact. Now, the LM HID's are certainly huge and clunky and because Halcyon and LM have not gone away from the monstrous head size of the old HID's with their new LED's they are just as big and clunky to travel with, but the UWLD not so much due to the tiny head, but the removable goodman handle also helps.

I will say that if you're used to HID's, and you have DIR buddies, the 12* beam angle is a deal breaker, 100%.
My only issue with the Halcyon Focus/Flare is just how expensive they are. Real nice lights, just stupid expensive...

I also use the D620 from OrcaTorch and back it up with the OrcaTorch D520. So far I haven't really been able to make up my mind between the Mares DCT series and the OrcaTorch.

If you were buying an entry level canister light for cheap, which brand and model do you think has the best value and performance?

If you were buying an entry level canister light for cheap, which brand and model do you think has the best value and performance?

I know you were asking Lake Hickory Scuba, not me, but since I'm the OP, I'll add my thoughts. Although the entry into the market of relatively inexpensive canister lights caught my interest, these discussions do nothing to change my perception that "entry level canister light" is a bit of an oxymoron, and achieving acceptable "value AND performance" remains an elusive goal.

It seems to me that if one's present level of diving does NOT require the presumably long burn time that is the main reason for having this relatively large battery pack on one's waist, then the reasonable choice is a non-canister (that is, hand-held) light, of which there are plenty of good (value-performance) choices. In other words, "entry level" diving generally doesn't require a long burn time. Hand-held lights are plenty bright--that's not the issue.

Now, if one is doing deco or caves or otherwise something that prevents you from surfacing immediately, you need a light that you can depend on with your life, with proven reliability, robustness, etc. I'm not sure I trust these mass-produced lights for that purpose (I suppose I'm referring more to Mares than Orcatorch). Like you, I'm not doing those kinds of dives, but the question in my mind behind my original post is whether it would be a good value-performance decision to acquire one of these lights while I'm still working my way up to that kind of diving--an "entry level" canister light as you put it. ("Training wheels"? Ha ha.) Or, rather than tossing a few hundred dollars into one of these entry level canister lights, am I better served for the time being sticking with exactly what I have been using: an HID canister light that I bought in used but decent condition for something like US$ 500. Save my money up for a proper, tried-and-true brand. These discussions lead me to believe these inexpensive canister lights offer a false savings. In other words, too good to be true.

@EireDiver606 and @Lorenzoid, my suggestions will be completely biased to what I use and sell. Now with that disclaimer out of the way, as far as value, I personally believe the Mares is slightly over priced compared to the OrcaTorch. I do like some of the added features to the Mares DCT series, however, even as a shop owner, I still have a very small budget. The OrcaTorch has been my go to light for Sidemount for over a year now, but only on dives with an overhead environment.

To answer @EireDiver606 question in regards to an great entry level light for a diver on a budget, knowing what type of diving you plan on doing really helps in giving you an answer. Personally, and in full disclaimer, I sell and use the Comfort Zone Scuba, Land and Sea. On average, I dive 10-20 times a week here in our local lake, the Land and Sea is my go to. Features that I really like, it uses standard AA batteries, has several hours work of run time, depending on how long you leave it in the on position, no cord to get into my way, and comes with a glove. With 1000 lumens of light, and with a price point of $125 retail, including batteries, its my choice. I use it for anything from Salvage Work, Public Safety work, Night Diving, and even Wreck Penetration. While testing the OrcaTorch D520 down in Curacao just before Christmas, I used the Comfort Zone Scuba Land and Sea for my primary. For the value, I would definitely check into it. I agree with most, that unless you have the need for a canister style light, there are way more valued lights out there. Now with that being said, as most divers end up doing, buy the light you want. Don't let my sales pitch influence you if you already have your mind made up.

@Lorenzoid, if you forced me to choose between the OrcaTorch D620 and the Mares DCT series, it would be a very tough decision. I really want to say the Mares, mainly because I support Mares as a Dealer, but I would lean more towards the OrcaTorch. For me, practicality plays a big role in it. I currently own several OrcaTorch lights, all using the 18650 batteries, and all came with a charger. So it is more practical for me to buy one that is compatible with those features. It does have a lower price point, and most of the kinks have been worked out since it's introduction. The Mares DCT series is brand new, and other than playing with them at DEMA, that's all I really know about them. Wished I could be more helpful.

Like you, I'm not doing those kinds of dives, but the question in my mind behind my original post is whether it would be a good value-performance decision to acquire one of these lights while I'm still working my way up to that kind of diving--an "entry level" canister light as you put it. ("Training wheels"? Ha ha.) Or, rather than tossing a few hundred dollars into one of these entry level canister lights, am I better served for the time being sticking with exactly what I have been using: an HID canister light that I bought in used but decent condition for something like US$ 500. Save my money up for a proper, tried-and-true brand. These discussions lead me to believe these inexpensive canister lights offer a false savings. In other words, too good to be true.

If it were me I'd save my money for now. I have no idea at what rate you may plan to progress to a more advanced level of diving like cave or whatever, but at one time light technology was changing rapidly. It seemed every year at DEMA things in the lighting industry was in constant change. Things may have slowed up for now. But I'd wait and buy the latest and greatest when you may actually need it.

Back
Top Bottom