Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins - blade warp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WanderLust68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought a set of the Quattro + fins a few months ago, I've only done about 4 pool lap sessions with them in anticipation of their big day out at sea. At home they are stored flat, but I've noticed a distinct (almost sine wave) warp to the (edge of) the blade.

Anyone else have any similar experience with the blade taking on a unique shape after a bit of use?

I've had mine a few months, admittedly only a handful of dives but no warping as of yet. Is the warp the length of the blade or top end or toward the bottom end? They weren't left sitting in the sun were they by chance? I have some Jets that someone, not me, left in a hot car and both warped from end to end, kinda like they've been twisted. Still dive ok though.

The warp is towards the edge of the blade of the fin, almost like one of the side rails started twisting. These have been stored in a bin, never left outside or direct sunlight. I'm assuming it won't affect the performance as these are very flexible due to the rubber channels and will take on their spoon shape when finning, but its just very odd to see them do this.

The warp is towards the edge of the blade of the fin, almost like one of the side rails started twisting. These have been stored in a bin, never left outside or direct sunlight. I'm assuming it won't affect the performance as these are very flexible due to the rubber channels and will take on their spoon shape when finning, but its just very odd to see them do this.

Yes indeed, hopefully the Mares rep will chime in at some point. Good luck.

image.jpg

This is my Quattros but they are not the + version. Got about 180 dives on them but that curve started early on. I assume it is related to the channels since it originates there. Is this similar? Also have the + version but already packed for upcoming trip. I believe they are also showing a slight curve.

yeah....that does look familiar. here is what mine look like
20150221_110518.jpg

I pulled out the Plus version. Only about 35 dives on those but does have just a very minimal curve similar to my others. The warp on yours is much more noticeable and with far fewer dives. I doubt it will affect performance but agree it would be nice to hear from Mares.

OK, so I just HAD to go look at mine and the kid's too. Yep, serious curve. See img.

Quattros.jpg

But since it only takes 1.2 pounds of force (worst case for those oldies shown) to return them to flat, I'm going with "It doesn't mean a damn thing" when flutter kicking. Seriously, the curves compensate for each other. I couldn't imagine...

I find Quattros to be very comfortable for flutter kicking. If you don't want a warp, get yourself a pair of jetfins. They don't warp (unless given a good reason to), but leg cramps quickly become an issue with flutter kicking...

Lowviz - thanks for posting pics.

My concern wasn't so much that I don't want to "warped" fins, but wanted to see if this was a somewhat common trait of these types of fins after use. Since these are the first Mares channel fins I have owned, I wasn't sure what to expect over time. As long as these continue to provide the level of performance advertised, I don't have an issue with what they look like when not in use.

Just a quick update...I've been trying to get these fins back to having a flatter blade all week and they always go back to the warped shape. Upon playing with the fins a bit more, it seems the rails themselves are what is twisted because if look at the fins from the side near the front end of the blade, I can see one blade angling up or down further than the other side. Again, just very strange to see this after so little use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom