Mares 52X for technical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm exceedingly cynical about local dive shops pushing their own gear. Have spent (wasted?) a lot of money as a result.
You hang out at the wrong places...
Right... Of course this makes the point about the limitations of Local Dive Shops (LDS). They're limited to the experience of their instructors and will tend to push the kit they have in stock.

When you're starting out in Scuba you don't know what you don't know, thus you're particularly susceptible to sales pitches masquerading as advice. Same with a used car dealer pushing you to the more profitable sale.

Personally I prefer my technical instructors to be independent and stand on their own two feet. This is especially important for Technical instructors who need to be extremely competent and well known. But most importantly I want a Technical instructor who basically does all their diving well beyond the levels they're training at.

We pretty much all agree that ones Technical instructor is a long-term relationship you need to be very happy with. You don't want an instructor who spends most days teaching recreational courses and who does the odd foray into slightly deeper diving. Technical experience counts for everything; recreational experience much less so.

Right... Of course this makes the point about the limitations of Local Dive Shops (LDS). They're limited to the experience of their instructors and will tend to push the kit they have in stock.

When you're starting out in Scuba you don't know what you don't know, thus you're particularly susceptible to sales pitches masquerading as advice. Same with a used car dealer pushing you to the more profitable sale.

Perhaps your limited experience in LDS and instructors is influencing your decisions.

Personally I prefer my technical instructors to be independent and stand on their own two feet. This is especially important for Technical instructors who need to be extremely competent and well known. But most importantly I want a Technical instructor who basically does all their diving well beyond the levels they're training at.

We pretty much all agree that ones Technical instructor is a long-term relationship you need to be very happy with. You don't want an instructor who spends most days teaching recreational courses and who does the odd foray into slightly deeper diving. Technical experience counts for everything; recreational experience much less so.

What does this have anything to do with the OP and his question? You have an issue with your instructor, start a new thread to discuss, I am sure it will be a lively discussion.

What does this have anything to do with the OP and his question? You have an issue with your instructor, start a new thread to discuss, I am sure it will be a lively discussion.
The OP is obviously starting out and asking a beginner question on Technical diving.

Does it not warrant more information, or would a yes/no answer do?

BTW @lowwall has an excellent answer in that other thread.

The OP is obviously starting out and asking a beginner question on Technical diving

He is asking about a regulator for technical diving not about instructions for technical diving.

@b-raider

This first stage should be fine for technical diving.

However, as good as Mares regulators are, and this is a good regulator, I cannot comment on how well it would work on a set of doubles / twinset compared to a first stage with a swivel turret.

I'm a big fan of Mares regs and use then on my single tanks as well as stages. When I first started technical diving many years ago I discovered the limitations of the MR22 on a set of twins and subsequently bought two ScubaPro Mk25 first stages. There are other options such as Apeks as mentioned that will allow better hose routing for twinsets.

A decent instructor should explain why a regulator is good or not so good for the purpose that you require it. Probably most regulators these days are perfect for single tank recreational diving, but not all fill the bill for twinset diving.

I'm exceedingly cynical about local dive shops pushing their own gear. Have spent (wasted?) a lot of money as a result.

One of the great things about forums like SB is the unbiased advice from people who've been through this before.
Let’s say “differently biased”

Take a look at this post, it has lots of information specific to your question:

thank you! That was really helpful!
I‘m interested in the mechanical differences of regs and what makes them „tec“ worthy.

However, as good as Mares regulators are, and this is a good regulator, I cannot comment on how well it would work on a set of doubles / twinset compared to a first stage with a swivel turret.
Thank you!
I‘m already using them on a doubble configuration and have used them on a single tank with two first-stages in cold water environment for years with no problem or hose routing problems. Its pretty streamline.

A decent instructor should explain why a regulator is good or not so good for the purpose that you require it. Probably most regulators these days are perfect for single tank recreational diving, but not all fill the bill for twinset diving.
This is what I expect of a good instructor or dive school… but here I am.
Nobody can explain me with mechanical facts why my two 52X couldnt be used as Tec regulators… its certified, its „better“ built than many older tec regulators and according to the fact sheets, service manuals and explosions its the same as the XR regs besides the TBP seal.

And still here aswell everybody tells me to upgrad just because there would be a „better“ option..

This is what I expect of a good instructor or dive school… but here I am.
Nobody can explain me with mechanical facts why my two 52X couldnt be used as Tec regulators… its certified, its „better“ built than many older tec regulators and according to the fact sheets, service manuals and explosions its the same as the XR regs besides the TBP seal.

Think you’re answering your own questions. They’re perfectly good regulators.

Technical regulators are basically quality balanced regulators certified to the appropriate standard - which your regs are. The other difference is the positioning of the hose holes and if there’s a turret.

Yours obviously work, so all’s fine.

As the person who wrote one of the quotes threads, and subsequent mares technician, I can answer your question.

Yes the 52x can be used as a tech reg. I would recommend the 62x, and really the 82x with the turret for specific applications. Which is why Mares made the 28xr twin regulator set... Twin balanced piston, cold water ready, sealed... All the things.

Any how, it's all about hose routing in your specific use case. I own the 82x, and still have my navy 22. I also own an XL4 and a Legend. I dive my 82x for just about everything.

For twins/doubles/side mount, hose routing is really the most important thing to think about, along side HOW you are being taught. You need to figure out what works for you. After you have mastered the basics, you will start to understand which parts of tex instruction jive with whatever you are attempting in the tec world.

Will the 52x work for tec? Sure!
Is there something better? Depends.
Would I rather sell you an xtx50 if you come to my dive shop? Nope, I'll steer you towards what works based on what you tell me you need.
Do I love the 82x? Yes!
Is the 72 useless? Pretty much.
Is the 62 just as good as the mikron/Helix pro? Yep.

Where do you want to go?

As the person who wrote one of the quotes threads, and subsequent mares technician, I can answer your question.

Yes the 52x can be used as a tech reg. I would recommend the 62x, and really the 82x with the turret for specific applications.
The 62X is the 52X that has had a whopping 49 grams of brass strategically removed. They are internally the same, have the same port layout, and use the same parts including the TBP environmental seal kit (also called dry kit or cold water kit).

FWIW, the same kit is also used for the 25XR. Which makes sense since the 25XR appears to be a 52X that only has the ports drilled on one side. Kind of like the 28XR is actually an 82X and the discontinued 75XR was an equally discontinued 72X.

Mares really likes to play games by marketing the same stage - usually with some cosmetic changes - under different names. The current record holder is their classic all-metal second stage which has been sold as the Orbiter, Voltrex, Ruby, Turbo, Abyss, Abyss Navy, Abyss Extreme, and XR DR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom