Mares 52X for technical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b-raider

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about the Mares 52x first stage. Can it be safely used for technical/deep diving? If not, why not?

I‘m currently with a dive school doing the PADI Tec 45 and my instructor (which is also a sales person in the dive shop) tells me, that I need(!) to upgrad my first stages to a more technical kit… e.g. mares XR25 or 28) I feel this is more of a sales pitch than really a safety concern…

If you look at the data sheet it‘s a top performing first stage. I own two of them and I wonder why they shouldnt be good enough for technical diving on a double config..?
…yes hose routing is not perfect but besides that… ?

Thank you for your inputs!

Regulators have to meet certain specifications which are tested, certainly within the EU, with their CE markings.

You *will* need to update your kit to technical specifications, mainly you'll need the longhose, necklaced backup, etc. You'll also need stage regulator(s).

When you start out you generally modify the kit you've got and then acquire additional kit as required. The breeding of cylinders and regulators is guaranteed!

Your local dive shop really isn't a good place to take advice literally. They're fundamentally sales people and will flog you what they have in stock, not what's right for you.

Technical regulators and kit tend to be from quality manufacturers and you WILL take advice from outside of the LDS. Technical diving is not the same as recreational diving; you're far more dependent upon the kit for your survival.

Kit wise, you'll need to have three first stages and three second stages arranged as the two twinset regulators (7ft/2.1m longhose with boltsnap, 2ft/60cm shorthose with BUNGEE necklace), plus the decompression stage regulator with second stage on a 1m/3ft3 hose.

Second-hand is a great place to buy this kit. DO NOT pay top dollar; all regulators need to meet standards and the LDS with diving industry will mercilessly exploit new divers for selling their shiny shiny oooh technical kit when their older and much cheaper kit is fine.

Example: Apeks DS4 first stages are great for this and a fraction of the price of the new stuff. Same with their DST regulators (a little more expensive, but not crazy prices) -- DSTs are very flexible so you can use them for a twinset, single, stages and also sidemount with the 5th port option.

Do try to standardise on a single manufacturer's regulators as they're easier to get serviced and also can be swapped around if one fails.

Regulators have to meet certain specifications which are tested, certainly within the EU.

You *will* need to update your kit to technical specifications, mainly you'll need the longhose, necklaced backup, etc. You'll also need stage regulator(s).

When you start out you generally modify the kit you've got and then acquire additional kit as required. The breeding of cylinders and regulators is guaranteed!

Your local dive shop really isn't a good place to take advice literally. They're fundamentally sales people and will flog you what they have in stock, not what's right for you.

Technical regulators and kit tend to be from quality manufacturers and you WILL take advice from outside of the LDS. Technical diving is not the same as recreational diving; you're far more dependent upon the kit for your survival.

You aren't answering the OP's question, not even remotely, just attacking and discrediting an LDS and an instructor you don't know.

I have a question about the Mares 52x first stage. Can it be safely used for technical/deep diving? If not, why not?

I‘m currently with a dive school doing the PADI Tec 45 and my instructor (which is also a sales person in the dive shop) tells me, that I need(!) to upgrad my first stages to a more technical kit… e.g. mares XR25 or 28) I feel this is more of a sales pitch than really a safety concern…

If you look at the data sheet it‘s a top performing first stage. I own two of them and I wonder why they shouldnt be good enough for technical diving on a double config..?
…yes hose routing is not perfect but besides that… ?

Thank you for your inputs!

From Mares website, the 25XR and the 28XR - HR are their Technical diving rated regulators not the 52x. If it were me and I am OK with Mares regulators for technical diving, go with the instructor's advice for certain.

You aren't answering the OP's question, not even remotely, just attacking and discrediting an LDS and an instructor you don't know.
I'm exceedingly cynical about local dive shops pushing their own gear. Have spent (wasted?) a lot of money as a result.

One of the great things about forums like SB is the unbiased advice from people who've been through this before.

Regulators have to meet certain specifications which are tested, certainly within the EU.

Thanks for your input.
But… is there a significant difference between my 52X and - lets say - the XR 25 or 28 first stages besides the TBP?

My 52X is certified to 200 m „and tested to 400m“, cold water rated and it was the top of the line regulator 5 years ago. Probaply much better than many „older“ technical regulators.

I wont break any world records in my diving career but I‘ll plan to do some wrecks at maybe 60 meters. Why should the X52 (maybe with a TBP upgrade) not be good enough?

I'm exceedingly cynical about local dive shops pushing their own gear. Have spent (wasted?) a lot of money as a result.

You hang out at the wrong places...

forums like SB is the unbiased advice
You gotta be kidding me here, aren't you?

From Mares website, the 25XR and the 28XR - HR are their Technical diving rated regulators not the 52x. If it were me and I am OK with Mares regulators for technical diving, go with the instructor's advice for certain.
The 52x is a balanced design, so perfectly suitable to Tec 45 depths.

Thanks for your input.
But… is there a significant difference between my 52X and - lets say - the XR 25 or 28 first stages besides the TBP?

My 52X is certified to 200 m „and tested to 400m“, cold water rated and it was the top of the line regulator 5 years ago. Probaply much better than many „older“ technical regulators.

I wont break any world records in my diving career but I‘ll plan to do some wrecks at maybe 60 meters. Why should the X52 (maybe with a TBP upgrade) not be good enough?
It seems to be an OK regulator and 200m is way way more depth than anyone will go to (except the 1 in a million divers who might!).

As I mentioned, you'll need three first stages, so you've got one but now need a couple more for the twinset OR sidemount.

Most people starting out on their Technical diving journey don't know where you'll end up. That might be open circuit diving with a twinset, it might be sidemount diving, it might be a rebreather -- or all three! You'll also probably still need a single-tank configuration for those warm-water dives :)

I'd suggest looking at buying two first stages which can work with sidemount and backmount. Sidemount normally needs the hoses routed from the end of the stage as well as from the side. A twisting "turret" is very useful. Examples: Apeks DST with 5th port or the ScubaPro Mk 25. The point is to buy the most flexible regulators that you can use throughout your diving career.

@b-raider

Take a look at this post, it has lots of information specific to your question:

Back
Top Bottom