March 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone, I am coming over to Australia and Indonesia from Argentina; I am diving Lord Howe Island in February and after a liveaboard at Raja Ampat I am looking to find a good pelagics dive place for March 1-10- would Ningaloo Reef be the place to go in early March? Are the mantas and whale sharks there then (I know there are no guarantees...)? And what dive operator is good for the Ningaloo Reef? Any information would be appreciated, and please ask if you need Patagonia dive info. Cheers. Rick

Rick - Mantas should be around out of Coral Bay as they have a local population (the mantas in Exmouth are more seasonal). Contact Ningaloo Reef Dive in Coral Bay.

Whale sharks in early March are hit or miss. Some years they start that early but other years they don't. We always have a variety of sharks, turtles, misc rays, schools of barracuda, trevally etc plus lots of the pretty reef fish, nudibranchs and other funky marine creatures. for diving in Exmouth try Ningaloo Whaleshark n Dive for the Pier and Exmouth Diving Centre for reef diving (not sure what date they are reopening, but drop them a line).

Let me know if I can help!

Thanks Kristin, I tried to reply to your PM but I either inundated your inbox with repetitive messages that for some reason don't show up in my Sent folder, or you never got them. This information is really helpful, thanks, I did not realize that Exmouth and Coral Bay are so far apart and was wondering (whale sharks apart) which of the two locations is a better base to dive the Ningaloo Reef? Cheers. Rick

Yup, 150kms more or less. No shuttle or bus service so you need a hire car to go between them.

I'd do two/three days in Coral Bay and then four/five days in Exmouth IF Exmouth Diving Centre is diving Lighthouse Bay and the Muirons. Unfortunately, they closed down again this summer and will reopen in March, but I do not know dates right now. My must dives for Coral Bay, in addition to the mantas would be Asho's and the Elbow, but be aware the Elbow is swell dependent so it's not always possible. In Exmouth, I'd do two days of "local" reef diving to Lighthouse Bay and then one day to the Muiron Islands and one/two dives on the Pier. If you're lucky, you can do the Pier in the afternoon after the morning reef dives. If you're really lucky, the Pier will be a day and a night double dive. It's tide dependent and I don't have the dive times for March but contact them and they should be able to help you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom