March 19 Bohol pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
logo_g10camera.gif

First shots with my new Canon G10/WP-DC28 using the internal strobe and the "underwater" setting for non-strobe shots.
It will take me awhile to get use to this camera.

clown.jpg

coral.jpg

eel.jpg

goby.jpg

lion.jpg

two_spot.jpg

Last edited:
Jim,

How do you like the camera so far? The pics look pretty good. I suppose settings should be relatively the same, but how you set the camera will be a bit different.

Great start with the new camera! The Goby, the Clownfish and the Two Spot are especially nice.

These shots are great, all are pretty close up shots except the brain coral. Have you tried a wider angle yet, this is my concern of switching, that the shots on the wide angle side will not be as good. You've had some great shots in the past so I'll be keeping an eye out for more of the same from you.

seeing how your shots were before, I'm looking forward to seeing them with your new setup. Glad to hear you were able to get a rig, Jim. :)

Jim, who could have ever doubted the quality of your shots as you get used to a new rig. Spectacular as always.

These shots are great, all are pretty close up shots except the brain coral. Have you tried a wider angle yet, this is my concern of switching, that the shots on the wide angle side will not be as good. You've had some great shots in the past so I'll be keeping an eye out for more of the same from you.

That was my concern before upgrading from my Oly C4000Z but I can't compare the 28mm lens to the Inon UWL-100 I had for the Oly housing. The Ikelite housing with the dome port likely increases the wide angle of the G10 but at a cost of about $900. versus about $200 for the Canon housing.

I do see a big difference in the 28mm lens on the G10 versus my old Oly. An external strobe is necessary for wider shots with the G10 or you have to settle for non-strobe shots using "custom" or "underwater" white balance. Many of my wide angle shots with my old camera and the Inon lens were with manual white balance.

Quite frankly I wanted to get away from carrying and attaching wet-mount lenses while diving. It felt good to carry only the housing :D

If I keep the Canon housing I will likely get a Sea & Sea YS-27DX strobe and a Fisheye focus light. They make for a compact rig. I said I would never get a strobe without a focus light but I re-thought that one and would get the YS-27DX and the Fisheye focus light. If I am going to use a fiber optic cable to fire the strobe then the manual settings on the 27DX are fine with me. That strobe is around $300. from Yuzo in Japan and the focus light is about $50. If I was going to utilize the hot shoe on the G10 for true TTL then the Ike housing, dome port and strobe are the way to go.

Another reason for the need of an external strobe with the Canon housing is very close-up macro shots. The internal strobe on the G10 is partially blocked by the length of the lens tunnel on the housing. I knew that going in. You have to use an external strobe on the Ike housing for all shots. I was very surprised, and happy, with the strength of the internal strobe and its coverage using the Canon housing.

Jim,

How do you like the camera so far? The pics look pretty good. I suppose settings should be relatively the same, but how you set the camera will be a bit different.

So far I like the camera but then again all I have to compare it to is my old Oly C4000Z :D

I will say that if anyone is buying a camera for the first time or upgrading their point-n-shoot they should get one with at least the 28mm wider angle lens.

Back
Top Bottom