Marathon, Florida Keys Diving and hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would be flying into Miami and I understand that I can get a flight from Miami to Marathon, Florida Keys. I will not be renting a car.

I would like to avoid Key West because I understand that's it's a "party town" (especially this time of year) and I don't drink anymore and need to stay away from that atmosphere if you catch my drift.

Was wondering if there is decent diving in Marathon or vicinity? Also any recommendations for reasonably priced places to stay (especially if it's close to the dive boat location) as well as dive shops will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sy

sytech:
I would be flying into Miami and I understand that I can get a flight from Miami to Marathon, Florida Keys. I will not be renting a car.

I would like to avoid Key West because I understand that's it's a "party town" (especially this time of year) and I don't drink anymore and need to stay away from that atmosphere if you catch my drift.

Was wondering if there is decent diving in Marathon or vicinity? Also any recommendations for reasonably priced places to stay (especially if it's close to the dive boat location) as well as dive shops will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sy

Try the Black Fin Resort and Tilden's Scuba Center in Marathon. Good dive charter and the Black Fin and Tilden share the same marina.

As for the drinking thing....uhhhhhh....hummmm....maybe it is best to avoid all of the Keys? The dreaded Keys Disease runs rampant from from Key Largo to Key West. I for one, have never found a cure for my own ailment :D

Sytech, I traveled to the Keys at least twice a year. The diving is great on all the Keys. Sounds like you may not have much experience vacationing there. Know this: you will not be able to function without a rental car. You can find hotels close to your dive op, but in most cases it will require a car. I'm sure Marathon has a taxi company but what if you get to your boat and the dive is canceled? If you eat out you will be very limited on choices. The Keys is not a place where you can walk to your destinations. Unless you simply don't drive, you could spend a fortune on transportation. For the rountrip cost of a plane from Miami to Marathon you could easily rent a car for your trip and come out way ahead financially speaking. Besides, part of the ultimate experience is the drive from Miami down to the Keys, it's simply beautiful. I don't want to dissuade you from going to Marathon, I simply love the Keys, but it will require (IMO) having your own transporation.

As others have said, a car is pretty much required, especially to get some decent food.

Abyss Charter runs (and docks the "worlds" biggest 6-Pack) out of the back parking lot of the Holiday Inn.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Was wondering which airlines fly there from Miami and what is the approximate cost. I guess there are no direct flights from Newark?

Maybe I will reconsider the car rental, but wanted to know how long is the drive from Miami to Marathon.

Thanks,

Sy

waynel:
Sytech, I traveled to the Keys at least twice a year. The diving is great on all the Keys. Sounds like you may not have much experience vacationing there. Know this: you will not be able to function without a rental car. You can find hotels close to your dive op, but in most cases it will require a car. I'm sure Marathon has a taxi company but what if you get to your boat and the dive is canceled? If you eat out you will be very limited on choices. The Keys is not a place where you can walk to your destinations. Unless you simply don't drive, you could spend a fortune on transportation. For the rountrip cost of a plane from Miami to Marathon you could easily rent a car for your trip and come out way ahead financially speaking. Besides, part of the ultimate experience is the drive from Miami down to the Keys, it's simply beautiful. I don't want to dissuade you from going to Marathon, I simply love the Keys, but it will require (IMO) having your own transporation.

It's just over 2 hrs driving from Miami to Marathon, depending on traffic. A good rule of thumb for driving from Miami to all the keys is: 1 hr. to Key Largo, 2 hrs to Marathon, and 3 hrs. to Key West.

I understand Delta is the only airline sevicing Marathon and that service just recently started after a six year hiatus. You can "google" the cost but I wouldn't be surprised if it's another $200 per person for that short flight from Miami to Marathon.

I'm in the process of planning a 7 day trip to Key Largo and I can get a full size, 4 door convertible for $323, including taxes and fees for the week.

Sy, believe me you will not be able to vacation on any of the Keys (except Key West)without a car. In fact, I think Key West is the only Key where I saw taxis and that's largely because (as you correctly stated) it's a party town.

You must understand Highway 1 is a two lane road and all the little towns up and down the Keys (until you get to Key West) are little towns with very little public transportation. If you were to drive from Miami to Key West, you will literally see the Atlantic Ocean on your left and Florida Bay on your right for most of the drive.These Keys towns were built to be little motorcar vacation getaways. I was stationed in NJ. Newark is a metropolis compared to Key Largo or even Marathon. Think of the Keys like this: small rural communities that just happen to be surrounding by beautiful water. That's why we love it so. Dive and relax, dive and relax.

Holiday Inn and the Abyss would solve two of your questions, but to go out and eat? unless you like walking alot I would also suggest a car. Heck by the time you walked somewhere ate and got back to your room you would be hungry again.

Is it my understanding also that the better diving is closer to Key Largo? I may be misunderstanding previous posts, but the impression I get is that the diving gets worse the closer you get to Key West, is that right?

Good questions, Sy. I've been trying to plan a Keys trip for later this year myself and have been juggling a lot of the logistics in my head. Is Marathon a focal point because of random selection (midway in the Keys?), or are you open to other options for your stay? I ask because this forum has been very helpful, I've still got a lot of planning to do , and looking to see if we can both benefit from the info provided. Speargirl turned me on to the whole www.vrbo.com thing and now my wife has gone nuts searching for a Europe trip despite my reminding her there's no good diving in Germany :)

Chris

Thanks for your very detailed and descriptive reply. I appreciate your help.

Sy

waynel:
It's just over 2 hrs driving from Miami to Marathon, depending on traffic. A good rule of thumb for driving from Miami to all the keys is: 1 hr. to Key Largo, 2 hrs to Marathon, and 3 hrs. to Key West.

I understand Delta is the only airline sevicing Marathon and that service just recently started after a six year hiatus. You can "google" the cost but I wouldn't be surprised if it's another $200 per person for that short flight from Miami to Marathon.

I'm in the process of planning a 7 day trip to Key Largo and I can get a full size, 4 door convertible for $323, including taxes and fees for the week.

Sy, believe me you will not be able to vacation on any of the Keys (except Key West)without a car. In fact, I think Key West is the only Key where I saw taxis and that's largely because (as you correctly stated) it's a party town.

You must understand Highway 1 is a two lane road and all the little towns up and down the Keys (until you get to Key West) are little towns with very little public transportation. If you were to drive from Miami to Key West, you will literally see the Atlantic Ocean on your left and Florida Bay on your right for most of the drive.These Keys towns were built to be little motorcar vacation getaways. I was stationed in NJ. Newark is a metropolis compared to Key Largo or even Marathon. Think of the Keys like this: small rural communities that just happen to be surrounding by beautiful water. That's why we love it so. Dive and relax, dive and relax.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom