Marathon, FL Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sheepdog

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Florida Keys. We are thinking about staying in Marathon, Fl but are trying to keep the cost down. We have some flight packages that offer Seashell Beach Resort in Marathon for $1837 (flight, hotel, and car) for May 2nd-May 10th. The other place we were looking at is Banana Bay resort in Keywest, which is $2113, but is an hour away. We like the idea of Marathon, b/c that is where we will be doing our check out dives with our instructor and also b/c it is sort of in the middle. However there are not any real reviews on the Seashell. Can anyone shed some light on the area?

My girlfriend spent a few nights at Florida Keys Resorts - The heart of the Florida Keys - Hawk's Cay Resort We got a killer deal through Travel Deals: Airfare, Vacations, Cruises, and More | Travelzoo (you have to be patient to find the good deals but they come up fairly often) we paid only $100 night and did our diving with Scuba Dive Middle Florida Keys Tildens Marathon Duck Key Florida Keys Reef Diving . From what we saw hawks cay was the nicest resort in the keys. We were originally going to dive with different operations but after getting there we just couldn't be bothered with shuffling our gear around. (they let you store your gear in a locker beside the boat)

The resort was wonderful and the dive operation is right at the resort and they are a top notch operation. we flew into fort Lauderdale (from CA) and rented a car and drove from there. I think it took about 2 hours to drive. DON'T speed in the keys! there are more cops then key lime pies in the keys I think! The best diving however is on the northern part of the keys, but we still liked the duck/marathon area. it is nice for a launching point and Key west isn't too far away.

good luck with your planning!

If you instructor is affiliated with an operation in that area - contact the operation for tie ins to local businesses. If you look at the web sites for dive ops in that area many of them have deals with local lodging

If your instructor is flying/driving in like you are - find out where they are staying.

He is running the dives through Tildens, they are driving down and staying in a camper for a month. He could only recommended a couple of places but they were through the roof in prices.

if your dives are secured just hold on and check travelzoo and watch out for cheap prices. I think when we booked our trip we just called and mentioned the 'travelzoo' special. You could always try that angle!?

Every year when we go down to the keys we usually stay at Key Colony Beach.... not a package deal but we like staying in a home and we get to keep the boat in the water....

Check out airfare prices to Fort Lauderdale or Miami via kayak.com. Airfares generally aren't truly posted by airlines until 6 mos prior to the departure date. At 30 days they review inventory and drop / raise fares as necessary, repeat at 14 days and between 7 & 10 days.

Hotel wise, Hungry Pelican, Sunset Cove and Seafarer are cheap but nice.

See 'speargirl' on this board for a nice condo at a reasonable rate.

Back
Top Bottom