Mar. 28, 2010 Madrona Point (Nanoose area) photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the photos. I have a lot of good memories from Nanoose bay, my grandfather was stationed there for many years when I was growing up.

Thanks for the photos. I have a lot of good memories from Nanoose bay, my grandfather was stationed there for many years when I was growing up.

Who's your Grandfather? I was stationed there back in the 80s and I work there now as a civvie.

Don LaPointe, a lot of people call him Swampy. He still lives in Nanaimo. We used to go camping out there in the 80s, but I'm not sure how many years he was there. He was army signal corp for most of his life but was at Nanoose for years before he retired. The annual open house was fun for the kids because we got to ride on the boats and there was a big picnic. At one point they had a couple beluga whales at the base and we got a chance to feed them. Only time I've ever touched a whale.

Don LaPointe, a lot of people call him Swampy. He still lives in Nanaimo. We used to go camping out there in the 80s, but I'm not sure how many years he was there. He was army signal corp for most of his life but was at Nanoose for years before he retired. The annual open house was fun for the kids because we got to ride on the boats and there was a big picnic. At one point they had a couple beluga whales at the base and we got a chance to feed them. Only time I've ever touched a whale.

Oh yeah, how could I forget Swampy. Great sense of humour. Does he still have that mini Winnebego?

Ah, so you did know him! Sadly the white and orange mini-winie is gone now. No change in sense of humour though :eek:) Sometimes he would end up with the radios when they were stripping old ships to sink, had one from a lancaster bomber too. He fixes them and gives them to a radio museum over here in Coquitlam. It's in an old building on the Riverview hospital grounds. This is reminding me I really need to drive over and see what's new at his place...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom