Mapping Divesites using Single and Multibeam Echosounder - Any one with knowledge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok,

So the NMEA is a standard, the language if you will that means many marine devices can be plugged in and communicate with each other.

From what Dennis S says

Its seems if i get a transducer , connect it to a NMEA Output unit like he linked to this can combine the feed from the transducer which would be depth with a GPS unit also plugged in to the Output unit.

The one linked has a USB output, how would this data be displayed on a PC, is there a special program that will save it as a text file or something? Also in the manual it says it mounts the USB as a virtual COM port, i know this causes problems some times, or at least has before when ive used dive computer software and old serial connecters trying to convert USB to COM ports. Anyone know if they are more reliable now or have experience to confirm this works fine?

Wookie, looking at the product you are talking about, If i got a transducer and connected it to this product or one similar, it would allow me to see what i am mapping in real time in 2D but could also save the raw data to the micro SD card included. This could then be extracted to a PC and imported in a 3d mapping package to create the bathymetric map?

Its seems Lowrance are offering this sort of thing for free almost with there hardware ! https://insightstore.navico.com/insightgenesis/how_it_works

And my budget is around $2k - $4k

For your setup wookie all those items feed into a single multiplexer and output to your MAC?

DiveNav im sure we could have plenty to communicate with but first i need to understand how i can get the raw data before i can think of turning it into a visual item!

My tender has an airmar transducer that feeds a Garmin 740S chart plotter for about $1500. The Garmin outputs all of those NMEA signals to whatever you want them to, in my case, a mac, but I do not save the bathymetry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom