Map/survey for Monastary, especially South?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
Conditions are looking about perfect, at least in the forecast, to try Monastery Beach this weekend. But I'd like to get an idea of what the depth profile looks like. I found a survey of a portion of North Monastery, along the wall. But I can't seem to find much in terms of the south side, which was recommended as generally calmer and easier (at least on a relative basis).

Just going by the Google Satellite picture, it looks like you can kick out to the edge of the kelp, drop down, and then pretty much head due west until you hit the point. (Proposed route) But I would feel a lot better knowing roughly what depths I should be looking for along the way. Lobos has great maps, hope there are some for Monastery.
Thanks!

Ah, I didn't realize their Lobos maps extended over! Thanks.

the shallow reef is 20 to 30 ft and then it progressively gets a bit deeper down to about 60 ft as you head around the bend towards mono lobo wall. however, the kelp was fairly thin last month as there were too many urchin in the area. north is healthier currently.

the shallow reef is 20 to 30 ft and then it progressively gets a bit deeper down to about 60 ft as you head around the bend towards mono lobo wall. however, the kelp was fairly thin last month as there were too many urchin in the area. north is healthier currently.
Is it still true that the south side tends to be calmer and easier for a first-timer?

I will try Google Earth, the Google Maps satellite view wasn't that helpful but I've never used Earth to look underwater!

yes, it tends to be a bit easier, particularly the entry. it just isn't as good a dive site currently as it used to be. with conditions being good, another shallow site that you can consider is copper roof.

Back
Top Bottom