Manual white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarick314

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What do you all use to set your white balance underwater? I saw a guy using a white card with a colorscale on one side. Thanks for the help.

My Canon G10 has a u/w preset. The balance card I find to be a giant pain

If I do I just use the sand as long as it's a light colour, obviously not the black volcanic stuff.

One frequent dive buddy carries a slate externally (i.e. not in a pocket). That seems to work the best in the somewhat murky inland environment around here, without carrying something like a dedicated card. I've also used any reasonably clean, uncolored tank that happened to be passing by. In the above mentioned murky environment, all the light is pretty diffuse, so the shininess of even brushed aluminum doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

I've also heard of people taping waterproof paper or even a piece of styrofoam tray to their buddy's tank.

shoot raw & post process

If you're serious about manual white balance you need to do it every time there is a change in ambient lighting. This includes depth changes, angle of sunlight, cloud cover, visibility, etc. These can constantly change during a dive, which means that you will be constantly adjusting white balance. Or just use Photoshop.

Back
Top Bottom