Mantas in Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundfield

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a trip for late April to Palau and I really want to dive with mantas. What are the chances of seeing them in Palau (land based), or do I really need to go to Yap for a few days to insure that happens? It's really a cost issue for me to make the island hop, but I'm already so close and don't want to blow my chances of a manta encounter.

Thanks,

we went last year in August and didn't see one. we only went to the cleaning stations once (for 2 dives) though :(

we did see a few spotted eagle rays though which was pretty cool :)

We saw 3-4 of them in one dive in German Channel in January, but it was 6 years ago. German Channel was pretty good even without manta ray, there were lots of garden eels and gray reef sharks hunting.

Hi Soundfield,
We send lots of divers to Palau and I've been there over 70 times. Not bragging, just trying to give you a "regionally educated" opinion.

I think you stand a chance of seeing them 50% of the time. "Them" can be anywhere from 1-4 or more, but usually 1 or 2.They use the incoming tides to either get "cleaned" at a few cleaning stations, or head to the upper regions of the channel to feed on plankton. Normally there's at least 5-6 other boats with divers at the same location and the vis can be 60-80' (rarely) down to as low as 15-20ft.

Lots of variables.

If you really want to see mantas more consistently go to Yap. Your chances increase to at least 80%. Yap also has some very good reefs and very few boats at the dive sites.

FYI, theres an "add on price" for flights between Guam-Yap-Palau-Guam.
Hope this helps.

Lots of Palau videos here: https://vimeo.com/album/212783/page:2/sort:preset/format:thumbnail
Who Are We?

We were there (on a liveaboard) a few years ago and saw 8 mantas on two separate dives in German Channel. It was amazing and our DMs said they have never seen that many two times in a row. They were feeding, not getting cleaned, as plankton was high level. Water was lime green, so I had to color correct for my video. You can see here: https://vimeo.com/3493905

And as was mentioned.... German Channel is one of my favorite dives and would still be one of my favorite dives without any mantas. The fishlife there was incredible! There were literally thousands of fish in a school just hanging out like a wall blocking out the sun, several reef sharks circling around mid-water, and several white tips sleeping on the bottom.

robin

I am headed there for my 12th or 13th trip in a couple of weeks. Only one year I have not Mantas. Devil Fish city is usually a guarantee to see them but a long way and not much else to see. The last couple of years I have been very lucky seeing them in the German Channel. 2 years ago had around 7 that were right in our face. Also last year a couple were at Ulong.

2 years ago had around 7 that were right in our face. Also last year a couple were at Ulong.

Wow..Manta at Ulong?? If that became common Ulong would replace the Blue Corner as the #1 dive in Palau. Guaranteed!

Can you imagine trying to keep up with a manta going thru the channel?? Boy, would I like to try that...full tank gone in 15 minutes!

I was with Scott last yr for a week diving at Sam's. On one of the German channel dives we were watching the scad school getting hammered by the blue fin trevallys which got the big school of baracuda excited which then got the white tips and gray reef sharks going haot and heavy. Just then a big manta flew over the top. I was in total sensory overload. I just thought, "Yeah baby, this is why I came to Palau". That being said if you want a close to sure fire manta ray action you should stay an extra day in Hawaii, fly over to the big island and do the night Manta ray dive. It is amazing.

Now I don't know what I should do.. you guys make it a difficult thing to decide.. thanks for the responses!

Ulong for me was better than blue corner... starting out on the wall then drift through the channel. so much change in life along that channel :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom