Mantas are back in Sharm!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some big fish out today -

Giant Trevallies in the Saddle at Shark and Yolanda, and there's a few more snappers hanging about. They look like the first few guests arriving at a party who don't know each other... "can we try the peanuts or do we have to wait until the other 50 people arrive? So, what's your name". Still a good sign though. Saw some big old tunas maybe 1.25m and one diver saw a "big-ish" shark which we later identified as a spanish mackerel - common mistake, they do get very large and swim in a very shark-like fashion.

Small schools of Jackfish at Jackfish Alley which is a bonus because in the winter time we have been removing the "f" from Jackfish Alley, rearranging the letters and adding a "t", giving the place a slightly different but much more fecal name. Two very beautiful dives and even though it's Easter Sunday, I jumped Shark and Yolanda at 10:30am and there was only one other boat at the reef at the same time, and we never saw their divers. Exactly the same in Jackfish.

Beautiful diving, good currents the last few days making for very easy drift diving (assuming your dive guide checks the current and jumps in the right place!) and some good stuff returning to the reefs in Sharm.

And hey - we just had the spring full moon - so very shortly there's going to be a lot of baby fish looking slightly terrified and trying to avoid the lionfish because the whole reef is - hmmm - to coin a phrase - "getting jiggy with it" :D

Loving it here right now!

Cheers

C.

Gabr el Bint had a manta 2 days ago (Dahab).

Not that i'd know. I was elsewhere as usual. Ive still never seen one of these mythical beasts in my life!

Hi,

Im heading down in 2 weeks... :)
What is the current water temp?

Al

Hi,

Im heading down in 2 weeks... :)
What is the current water temp?

Al

Yepp...
I am wondering this, as well...
Also some info about the weather conditions would be fine, while pcking the bag...

last but not least;
what about the actual sitution about mantas and other big stuff?...

I have a dream!... to see a whale shark:eyebrow:

Last 7 days and counting...

Regards
Kaya

Water temperature was 24 yesterday at Ras Umm Sid and Near Garden - I had 23 on Thistlegorm today (which was a rather splendid day on the wreck, actually).

As for wildlife - will keep posting that in the wildlife report as and when it happens.

Cheers

C.

Thanks for the update Crowley

For sure they are down on last year. In the last few months business has been very dependent on the nationality of the customer - the Germans were back as soon as the flight restrictions were lifted, there was always a steady trickle of British, but the Scandinavians, Italians and Russians took a long time to start coming back. I've seen the numbers pick up over easter for lots of places, but we're also entering a quiet time of year now - holidays are all finished, school and university exams are on the way, etc. Still busy but not tooooo busy! :)

Thanks for the update...
I suppose, its good to dive with not so many people, but then for you guys its your "life blood"...

Double edged sword...

Still i´m looking forward to being there in a few weeks... with or without the crowds

Regards
Al

I'm a diver first and a dive professional second... so I prefer to have smaller groups in the water, and actually the number of people on the boat does not necessarily mean more money. But on the other hand I like busy boats with lots of people to have fun with and tell bad jokes in worse German... :D

I was the only boat on Jackfish when I jumped this morning - and that is rare at any time of the year. Very very cool at the moment, I hope you enjoy it.

C.

Back
Top Bottom