Mantas are back in Sharm!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Yay!

Regular sightings at Ras Umm El Sid and I saw one yesterday at Tower. The water is full of plankton so it can't be long until the whale sharks sniff their way back here; the emperors are gathering at Jackfish Alley and a few progressive snappers have been suspiciously hanging about at Shark Reef waiting for their friends.

Oooo summer is coming, it's not so busy, and I am loving it here at the moment! :D

C.

Crowley,

upon your experience; what are the chances that the whake sharks hang out until mid of may? That`s whan I`ll be there with my wife...

Planktons; do they limit the visibility much ?

What is the current water temp ?

Hope to see you when we get there...

Regards
Kaya

Sadly I don't, but if I find some I will post them here.

The Whale sharks haven't been sighted yet, but last year we had them from May until October, so there might be one or two around when you are here - hope so! :D

Water temperature is currently at its lowest - had 22 in Tiran and Ras Mohamed last week but it's starting to turn with the odd thermocline as the air temperature starts to heat up. Should be 24 - 25 when you get here so still 5mm full suit conditions. Ask me again nearer the time.

The plankton bloom is amazing at the moment - I dived Ras Nasrani yesterday and the viz was like 40 metres, beautiful, and with hundreds of thousands of salp - and we did not have such a bloom last year. It was quite amazing, diving with all of these jelly-like creatures around us.

will keep everybody posted as to how it's going here in terms of wildlife - I'm loving it! :D

C.

Apparently a whale shark was spotted in Shark's bay a few days ago. Nobody at my centre has seen it (we never dive there) but if it's true then for sure it's good news!

The plankton bloom seems to be larger and more extensive than last year which might be a good omen for bigger fish arrival over the next few months... or it may just mean we have a big plankton bloom... :D

Fingers crossed

C.

They are for sure hanging about at Ras Umm Sid at the moment - I have not seen one there but they seem to be regularly spotted around 3pm - I've been on the boats every day for a month but not had the opportunity to visit Umm Sid so late in the afternoon.

My Tower sighting was about 2:30 pm and last year they were as regular as clockwork...2pm Far Garden, 2.30pm Near Garden, 3pm Tower, moving to the south in the afternoon - and Umm Sid is South of Tower.

I'm not a Manta expert but for some reason they do seem to be reasonably predictable (at least here in Sharm) - it's not a guarantee on every dive of course, but three or four times a week at the same dive site at a similar time? and that's only from one dive centre - I spoke with guides at other shops who confirm the sightings.

I'd actually like somebody to tell me what the reason behind this may be. The dive sites where the Mantas were most regularly spotted in Sharm last year (at least as far as I know) were Far Garden, Near Garden, Tower, and this year, Ras Umm Sid. All have points or corners, to a greater or lesser extent, that extend into the blue - which I know is probably part of the reason for the sightings in that the creatures probably navigate using these points, but the timing is also interesting. What's so great about being at these places at that particular time?

Tower is an odd geographical exception because the "point" is nearly a kilometre away, (dive site Sodfa to the north) but it's actually quite sheltered and set back a bit inshore, so why the Mantas like to visit we don't know, but they do get seen there quite often. It may also be that Tower is a much more popular dive site than Sodfa....

Anyway, it's very cool to have them back... and the rest of the red sea wildlife! :D

Cheers

C.

Here´s two photos I took on the last trip.

Attachments

• Delfine1.jpg
    Delfine1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Manta.jpg
    Manta.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 71
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom