Manta rays and sharks in Bali ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesje

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to now, whether is a big chance to see manta rays and sharks in Bali during April...

I am located in Tulamben, Bali. We do see sharks and manta's here but not reliably or every day. My reccomendations would be:
Manta Point off of Nusa Penida (island just east of Bali), has Manta Rays year-round - access is the only issue. If there is a swell running this site is very surgy and boats don't go, but April is a relatively good time of year so check with the operators prior to booking dives (try Jonathon at Blue Seasons - Bali, e-mail sunfish@indosat.net.id he is a Nusa Penida expert).
Sharks are sighted on almost all dives at Gili Mimpang, three small islands just off the east coast of Bali, best place to dive from for these is Padang Bai. Try Absolute Scuba (Andy) in Padang Bai or Sanur email diver@absolutescubabali.com)
Let them know I sent you :wink:

I think the best for Penida diving is Bali Hai. Check their web site and ask for Michael. The best time for the big stuff is September/October (great Mola-Mola) but you can see good stuff out at Penida all year round.

You'll need a very good DM and Boat Captain with good speed boat to dive Nusa Penida. I dived there before, the dive site deserve more respect. Un-predictable current, thermocline, surge, but there's always alternative on the other side of the island. :wink: anyway you can check with www.baliscuba.com they are having yearly discount on their anniversary.

I'll be there late april :eyebrow:

Andy

i was in bali in feb and march and had the chance to see some occasional sharks but the special trip we took to manta point was completely useless hence the mantas were not at the rendez vous and there is basically nothing to see at that location except for them. most dive operators will require a min of 4 divers to bring you there. if you are going to be in the area for a while and budget permits you i suggest you take a trip to the komodos, we found an all inclusive deal for 4 days diving on a non luxury liveaboard 3 dives/day for 700usd including flight to and from bali. and there we saw 8 mantas on one dive. plus amazing fauna and fish variety and abundance.

Back
Top Bottom