Manta Necklace question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose you could try zip tying the necklace to your reg. Kinda the same way you zip tie a bungee to the mouthpiece. Not sure how it would work.

Using zip ties to make the opening smaller should be OK, but I don't like the idea of actually zip tying the necklace TO the reg. If someone swims up and grabs my back-up in a panic, I want it to slip out of the holder, not snap back and hit me in the face.

Using zip ties to make the opening smaller should be OK, but I don't like the idea of actually zip tying the necklace TO the reg. If someone swims up and grabs my back-up in a panic, I want it to slip out of the holder, not snap back and hit me in the face.

People generally have two differing opinions on the matter of whether they want their backups to come free or not. Some people want the necklace securely attached, and some want the reg to come free if pulled.

Having the reg securely attached is good because the necklace becomes a part of your regulator. It can't easily fall off, and you can't forget it at home. There are is also less material around the mouthpiece, giving your lips more room to 'fit'. People who dive like this like it because they always know where the reg is going to be; ie, it can't fall out and not be there when they need it. Almost everyone who dives this way has a short 22-24" hose on their backup, so it would be very uncomfortable, and stressful sharing air using this hose whether it is free or not. I am also paranoid that a diver who is stressed enough to pull out my backup is stressed enough to pull it hard enough to yank the LP hose out of it's crimp trying to get more length out of the hose. Issues can be avoided by having good communication before the dive, and going over each others gear configuration/donation procedures before the dive begins. A diver with good situational awareness will also see the OOA diver swimming towards them and be ready to donate their primary before the OOA diver can grab their necklace.

Having a necklace that will let your backup pop out if pulled is also popular amongst some divers. Some use this necklace as any other sort of octo holder, and plan on donating the reg in their necklace. In this case, it needs to pop off the necklace to be used. Others use it with a short hose, and still plan on donating their primary. Ron's argument is one big reason people prefer this way. If an OOA diver does surprise you and grab your backup, it will at least come free and give them enough slack to get in a breath or two. After that, you can switch them to your primary and then start a comfortable air share. Another reason is that if someone yanks on the reg, they would rather the reg detach from the mouthpiece than the mouthpiece detach from the reg. I've tried to pull the mouthpiece off my reg using the necklace, and I've never been able to.

It is a matter or preference, and I don't really think one way is dangerous compared to the other. I prefer having the reg securely attached mostly because it is one less thing I have to remember to pack. I tried it both ways, and prefer this way, but I do keep a spare surgical tubing necklace in my toolbox that I wouldn't hesitate to use in a pinch.

Tom

I also carry a DR2500, and with a Manta necklace and this reg, I can stretch the manta out, and the lower part of the loop fits between the mouth and the exhaust cover securely.

Good post b1gcountry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom