Mansfield DamDive Report 10.21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, we had a nice day of diving on Saturday.

We left the house in Keller about 6:30am, hit McDonalds, filled up with gas $50.00 and headed down to Austin. The drive was nice and XM radio paid for itself in spades. Construction through Austin is getting monstrous- starting to look like Houston which is sad sight. I remember 10 years ago pulling onto FM620 and there was nothing noda, now- wow batman it’s insane.

By 11am we were at Mansfield Dam Park and found the main pavilion was open- hurrah! We stopped by and saw the guys- warming up a late breakfast snack, we chatted for a few minutes, drooled over there doubles and stage tanks-nice. Well, we unloaded 7 scuba tanks, 100lbs of weight, 2 play scooters, drysuits and wetsuits and HID lights- hummm, is this expensive sport? This gear was for five divers.

I bumped in to a gentleman form the board he stopped by with his daughter and we spent a few minutes talking about the lake and active things that are happening at the lake. He mentioned something about rebreathers :D. It was very nice to chat with him and to meet his daughter- hope that the birthday parties went well! I will let him give his impression of our motley bunch and gear parade at the pavilion.

Wow, too much dive gear. So after parking the truck we did the standard dive site evaluation. I still have to resize the pic’s but the lake was down by about 20ft. :11: Walked down the “stairs of shame” and from the bottom step it was a good twenty vertical feet to the water. Wow, nothing like traipsing down 90 steps and then having to climb over boulders to get down to the water. Hopefully the Corp of Engineers will use this time to replace the boulders with rock stairs or pavers- HA…don’t hold your breathe. Windy Point would have been a better selection with at least two sets of deep stairs and platforms and multi levels of entries. Oh well….

We did a total of three dives nothing special- first dive was a refresher diver for the other two divers and a gear shack down for Heather, Austin and me. I had to adjust the outlet for my Poseidon second stage- once that was adjusted then I was good to go. Heather watched the divers and I made a drop to 75ft with no lights. The water was warm but visibility was not the best. Once the other two divers settled we did get them to about 35ft- (open water divers.) I made appropriate stops for my dive.
Second dive was Heather me and our fun bunny scooters. They worked out well, we dropped down to 81ft- could not see anything at that point and called the floor based on visibility plus the boat noise was awful. However, it was nice to be cruising a lot and just enjoying the view. Last dive was a training dive and was a basic dive.

Texas A&M dive group (Galveston) was onsite and they were practicing rescues and some other advanced diver class work. We had a nice chat with a few of the instructors; they were giving us a hard time about our toys, really nice group of people.

We finished diving as light dropped over the dam and the water started to get dark. We packed up the truck and everyone showered. It can be said that Mansfield has excellent changing facility- with heaters for cold days, and the showers are good. Only problem is getting the ladies out of the showwers. We headed out of the park, grabbed some Chinese buffet on the way back to the highway and then cruised home. We hit the house at about midnight. Thank heavens for Monsters (the drink) unloaded tanks, dive gear, wetsuits, emptied the cooler and crashed.

All and all a great day of totally recreational diving. Nice seeing the known convicts and meeting some new friends.

Regards, Andrew

Crazyduck:
I bumped in to a gentleman form the board he stopped by with his daughter and we spent a few minutes talking about the lake and active things that are happening at the lake. He mentioned something about rebreathers :D. It was very nice to chat with him and to meet his daughter- hope that the birthday parties went well! I will let him give his impression of our motley bunch and gear parade at the pavilion.

'Gentleman'?? Now now, I didn't insult you, or make you feel old... J/K.

It was nice to meet all of you. Maybe I'll be able to get wet next time.

As far as the gear parade, part of the reason I came by was to see how the pros do it... it looked to me like you guys have it all figured out, except maybe the gas grill...

Expect some PMs including my contact info, as promised.

Andrew..... well it sounds like all your troop had a fun sporty scuba Sat.. At least you were able to get wet and a bit of down time at Travis. Yea the lakes are really low this season. Sorry I missed you when you stopped by the shop to pick up the rental gear,,,,was schd. later in the day. So did you or any of the other SB gang do any deep diving with all that gear you guys toted down to the water? Today just going to pick up another tank I bought from a bud, PST E8 130, he has only a few dives on it, will make for a great optional tank. Between this PST tank, my new Tech BC and new drysuit, Gas Blender cert. course and Ice Diver cert. course/trip....looks like the doubles kit will have to wait till 06'. Oh....I have a 2 seater Diveyak in the trunk of my car with all the goodies,,,,so if you really want an adventure diving trek on the flats let me know and we can head out--its a hoot. Glad you and the family made it back safe-n-sound.

Thanks for the report! I have never dove Mansfield Dam. I think I will make a point of diving it next year.

80 ft was about it on deep diving this trip due to refreshing a couple of people on diving. I did too much bouncing with a slightly paniked person on one of the dives to do much deep stuff.

To add to Andrew's novel :wink: (luv you) - the water temp was AWESOME. We had on 5mm's and the temp was 78 - perfect diving.... The only downside was b/c of the hiking everyone had to do down the the water - vis got stirred up quickly...

Andrew & I are going to plan another Balmorhea trip this coming winter. Anyone game??? Its the perfect place for winter diving...

diveblondy:
80 ft was about it on deep diving this trip due to refreshing a couple of people on diving. I did too much bouncing with a slightly paniked person on one of the dives to do much deep stuff.

To add to Andrew's novel :wink: (luv you) - the water temp was AWESOME. We had on 5mm's and the temp was 78 - perfect diving.... The only downside was b/c of the hiking everyone had to do down the the water - vis got stirred up quickly...

Andrew & I are going to plan another Balmorhea trip this coming winter. Anyone game??? Its the perfect place for winter diving...

Heather that bouncing can get old when trying to work with a rusty diver. Weather looked great for you guys,,,I bet Austin had a good time,,,or is he at the age were its not cool to be with you guys-gee. I will go to Balmorhea only if you can promise an ice cover over the spring--lol.... hope the trek works out for you and crew. Be safe.... :)

I hit a 100 a couple dives. Loosebits and Rick went deeper on the one I napped through.

And Rick got in trouble with his wife for that "deeper" dive :)

I know where my pants are so its all good

Where? Where we found the putter?

Back
Top Bottom