Mansfield Dam 10/21 - 10/23 trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Color coded chains that run perpendicular to the shore would be nice, orange, yellow whatever.

I would like little info stations with maps under a lexan plate that has a big red dot saying "you are here". That would be really cool.

Cool, we could have NASCAR track diving with glow sticks!

Deep stops-
I learned about slow ascents back in the nineties. At one time in galaxy far, far, away I was doing the 60+ ft a MINUTE ascent rate and all I could do after diving deep was sleep. I finally read an article by Richard Pyle and that scared the living ***** out me. I must have been sub clinical on a few occasions- very freaking scary. However, now about a third of my dive time is heading back to the surface.
Web- http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/deepstops.html

That scooter you had, could it tow two divers in doubles with a stage each? looking for something to reduce massive surface swims.

Funny you should mention that.... :11:

I have an idea that requires some serious mapping of that park to GPS points.
I have all of the serious problems worked out...
To include contour depths and its in the plans for next year.
I have to buy some new software (ouch) and hardware (ouch) but it is seriously in the plans!
Eventually, I woud like to have a high quality map of this site and a few others.
The highlight of this map will be its accuracy with wass and gps points. Screw kick cycles and siting the points! Details to follow soon!
THIS IS GOING TO BLOW AWAY the old mapping style.

Andrew

loosebits:
I would like little info stations with maps under a lexan plate that has a big red dot saying "you are here". That would be really cool.

Rand and I were discussing mapping some sites in detail using Lines and some trig, I just can't bring myself to sit down and start tying knots.

Knaw our scooter are good for one diver with a steel tank and a stage.
I have towed two divers and it bogs it down.

For doubles and stages you have two choices-
The Mako (or many duplicates like Apollo or Dacor) or the older Tekna scooters.

Next level is the newer x-scooter $3000.00 new, unknown used.
Silent Submersion (freaking awesome 3 knots) same $3k new and about 2500 used.

FIXXERVI6:
Rand and I were discussing mapping some sites in detail using Lines and some trig, I just can't bring myself to sit down and start tying knots.

Don’t worry- you will Love the GPS system. One diver, one GPS, one dive computer that can be downloaded and you can map to your hearts content or you need more nitrox or trimix. HEHEHEHE… its soooo sweet. And the best part is we are going to be able to share the data points so we can build the map over time and everything is to scale!

How were you planning on using GPS? Get a really long antenna?

What about those hand held sonar deals, use the GPS on the surface to form a grid and ping off the bottom for depth sounding and write down teh data point, load into the computer and plot the points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom