Mansfield Dam 10/21 - 10/23 trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, fixxervi6 (Rick), dearman (Dean), David and I got there late Friday night and got in the water about 12:30 AM and did a dive to 100' and started our ascent @ 24 mins. Dean and David split off early in the dive with ear problems. Surfaced @ 50 mins (we like those nice slow ascents). My computer recorded a temp @ max depth of 71 (think it was probably 68). The themo was at 81'.

The best viz we saw was probably 8 - 10' at depth, 3 - 6' above the thermo.

Got back to the campsite and some guy staggers over towards us drunk out of his mind. Our 30 - 45' conversation while breaking down and locking up our gear consisted of 3 questions over and over again:

1) Do you scuba dudes like work for the government?
2) How do they make batteries [for the lights] work underwater?
3) Where can I get some scuba slippers so I can walk on the coral? (time to lock up our boots).

He staggered off for a few minutes and we got in our tents. He then came back and repeated question 2 a couple of times.

Woke up the next morning with 2 locksmiths there at his car. We find out later that he called Enterprise (his car was a rental) and got tired of waiting then called another locksmith. Enterprise showed up a few minutes later and left. When the locksmith showed up, he was passed out. Once he was able to wake him up and get him into his car, the guy couldn't find his wallet and there was a heated exchange involving relations with one's mother amoung other things. Got a 30s clip. The locksmith then just blocked off his car and sat in his van.. We ran into town to get some propane and the sherrif had come and taken the the guy off. No scuba slippers for him.

Anyway, we did another dive at 1:45 PM Sat at the dam, actually went into the little grate @ 10'.. it was quite unmemorable swam back to shore @ 20' and dropped to 108 and started our ascent @ 35 min and surfaced @ 52 min. Viz never opened up beyond 12' or so.

The next dive Rick and I went down @ the dam to 143 and started our ascent @ 14'. Temp at 140 was cold enough that I couldn't re-clip my SPG since my hands were so cold (no gloves). Guessing the temp was in the low 60s (computer read 68 but we were only below 130 for 7 mins). The viz below 130 opened up to 20' looks like the windex layer is gone for the year. Surfaced @ 43 min.

The 4rd dive (Dean and I - Rick was too cold somehow) was to 65'. Just swam along the wall. Started our ascent @ 23' and surfaced @ 39'. Viz around 6 - 8', temp of 77. We tried to keep the dive short to save air for another dive.

Next morning we did another dive (Dean and I, Rick's sinuses were hosed) to 100', started our ascent @ 17', made it up @ 32'. Viz at max depth was 0. This was not a fun dive. We hit that white silt layer at 95 or so and I was trying to descend below it but the bottom flatted out. Turned the dive once I reaized that. Didn't have my compass with me and unable to discern the slope so I was nervous that I hadn't done a true 180 (knew I was within 30 deg though). After 1 min we had ascended to 90' and the viz opened back up to 5', took me a minute (and a 45 deg left turn) to figure out which way was straight up the slope. By 85' and 16mins, we were headed straight in. My previous expeirences with the white silt layer had it about 5' thick and I could easily go through it without getting turned around but in this case, they layer was on a level plane. Need to start wearing a compass or deploy my reel before heading into the muck. A SMB wouldn't be a bad idea either so if we had to make a mid water ascent, we would have a reference point for the ascent and the boats wouldn't wack us (although in Travis, I wouldn't be suprised if an SMB just attracted boats).

Ran into a few SB's down there, 3dent, subzero and crazyduck. Could have used all of your help with the dunk guy's Q&A.

loosebits:
Well, fixxervi6 (Rick), dearman (Dean), David and I got there late Friday night and got in the water about 12:30 AM and did a dive to 100' and started our ascent @ 24 mins. Dean and David split off early in the dive with ear problems. Surfaced @ 50 mins (we like those nice slow ascents). My computer recorded a temp @ max depth of 71 (think it was probably 68). The themo was at 81'.

The best viz we saw was probably 8 - 10' at depth, 3 - 6' above the thermo.

Got back to the campsite and some guy staggers over towards us drunk out of his mind. Our 30 - 45' conversation while breaking down and locking up our gear consisted of 3 questions over and over again:

1) Do you scuba dudes like work for the government?
2) How do they make batteries [for the lights] work underwater?
3) Where can I get some scuba slippers so I can walk on the coral? (time to lock up our boots).

He staggered off for a few minutes and we got in our tents. He then came back and repeated question 2 a couple of times.

Woke up the next morning with 2 locksmiths there at his car. We find out later that he called Enterprise (his car was a rental) and got tired of waiting then called another locksmith. Enterprise showed up a few minutes later and left. When the locksmith showed up, he was passed out. Once he was able to wake him up and get him into his car, the guy couldn't find his wallet and there was a heated exchange involving relations with one's mother amoung other things. Got a 30s clip. The locksmith then just blocked off his car and sat in his van.. We ran into town to get some propane and the sherrif had come and taken the the guy off. No scuba slippers for him.

Anyway, we did another dive at 1:45 PM Sat at the dam, actually went into the little grate @ 10'.. it was quite unmemorable swam back to shore @ 20' and dropped to 108 and started our ascent @ 35 min and surfaced @ 52 min. Viz never opened up beyond 12' or so.

The next dive Rick and I went down @ the dam to 143 and started our ascent @ 14'. Temp at 140 was cold enough that I couldn't re-clip my SPG since my hands were so cold (no gloves). Guessing the temp was in the low 60s (computer read 68 but we were only below 130 for 7 mins). The viz below 130 opened up to 20' looks like the windex layer is gone for the year. Surfaced @ 43 min.

The 4rd dive (Dean and I - Rick was too cold somehow) was to 65'. Just swam along the wall. Started our ascent @ 23' and surfaced @ 39'. Viz around 6 - 8', temp of 77. We tried to keep the dive short to save air for another dive.

Next morning we did another dive (Dean and I, Rick's sinuses were hosed) to 100', started our ascent @ 17', made it up @ 32'. Viz at max depth was 0. This was not a fun dive. We hit that white silt layer at 95 or so and I was trying to descend below it but the bottom flatted out. Turned the dive once I reaized that. Didn't have my compass with me and unable to discern the slope so I was nervous that I hadn't done a true 180 (knew I was within 30 deg though). After 1 min we had ascended to 90' and the viz opened back up to 5', took me a minute (and a 45 deg left turn) to figure out which way was straight up the slope. By 85' and 16mins, we were headed straight in. My previous expeirences with the white silt layer had it about 5' thick and I could easily go through it without getting turned around but in this case, they layer was on a level plane. Need to start wearing a compass or deploy my reel before heading into the muck. A SMB wouldn't be a bad idea either so if we had to make a mid water ascent, we would have a reference point for the ascent and the boats wouldn't wack us (although in Travis, I wouldn't be suprised if an SMB just attracted boats).

Ran into a few SB's down there, 3dent, subzero and crazyduck. Could have used all of your help with the dunk guy's Q&A.

Thanks for the newsy report. To bad about the vis,,,,but that is diving,,,,and there is alot to be said for low vis dives! To bad about the fellows sinus problem...I know how that is---not fun. Glad all went safe and you managed a few dives at 100+. Did you guys dive air? The drunk story is is great---locksmiths and trip to the slammer--gotta love it!

Dean dove air the entire trip. Rick and I were diving 32 in our doubles for our 1st 2 dives with 40 in a stage (our first time with stages - hardly noticed it being there). Got an air topoff which put us at 25.x for our deep dive (MOD 150) and we entered planned deco, switched over to our stages at 75'.

Forgot one interesting tibit. On our 2nd dive, Rick found a nine iorn @100' and I stuffed it in my waist strap. On our deep dive, I found a putter @ 140' and Rick carried it up. Unfortunately both fell apart at the surface (the putter broke apart just sitting in the truck bed, the 9 iron on a back swing). What is the DIR prefered way to rig a putter? Just curious.

Anyone else find any clubs deep at the dam?

Thanks so much for posting about your deep dives at the Dam. I love drunk stories always reminds me of why I quit drinking.....:05: . Interesting golf club finds. I will have to make it out there one day. I normally dive Windy Point when I am down there which is no more than once a year ( this year it was none!) I get tired of the local parks but almost all of my diving locally consists of classes with OW or AOW students. I plan on making it back to PK for another shot at it on Sunday ( maybe) .

I got cold because I had on my "wal mart" drysuit insulation, no wicking layer, didn't have time to pick some up :-(

FIXXERVI6:
I got cold because I had on my "wal mart" drysuit insulation, no wicking layer, didn't have time to pick some up :-(

LOL.... stop by our shop or give a ring,,,,we can set you up with a BARE T-100 or T-200 (Thinsulate) or a lighter BARE Comfort Extreme drysuit underwear...that will solve those chills!!

I have some heavy DUI stuff but I can't reach my valves in it, its too small through the chest.

How to wear a putter- that requires a ‘shovel’ but that is going way back to DIR folklore.

We never came across anything worth mentioning. Somewhere around 70 ft I came across a large carp hiding in a tree but nothing worth mentioning. He was not happy that that we were in the neighborhood.

I turned my dive at 70ft because I hit a sand flats and did not feel like cruising across the open plains without bailout and then having to remember which way was home- that always sucks and I brought a compass. 8)

Eanx32 is the way to go in Texas lakes and I feel so much better afterwards.

I am thinking about bringing a tent stake and a glow stick for future dives; use it to mark which pile of rocks is our exit at about 40ft. Stick it into the mud and pick it up on the way home.

Later, Andrew

Or a bunch to tent stakes to run a line all over the bottom :)

I almost never use air, 32% is my favorite.

Crazyduck:
Eanx32 is the way to go in Texas lakes and I feel so much better afterwards.

We make *very* slow ascents and I don't notice a difference between 32 and air or close to air. Last time down there, we did a no-deco on 26 to 140 and did a nice slow 25 min ascent w/ deep stops. I think its all about the micro bubbles. A 5 fpm (average) ascent seems to keep them to a minimum :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom