Manmade object on/near Hopkins Reef ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisheater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On Saturday, I was in an UW Nav class diving offshore of Hopkins and the Aquarium. Instructor and I saw a yellow topped, white metallic object on some soft of pedestal. It was cylindrical and appeared to be made of metal mesh.

Alas, we were being led by the other student (who was very navigationally challenged and very fast). Though we wanted to veer over and investigate, we saw the fins of the other student fading into the murk and had to follow.

Neither of us know what it was that we saw.

Anyone on SB know?

Thanks.

On Saturday, I was in an UW Nav class diving offshore of Hopkins and the Aquarium. Instructor and I saw a yellow topped, white metallic object on some soft of pedestal. It was cylindrical and appeared to be made of metal mesh.

Alas, we were being led by the other student (who was very navigationally challenged and very fast). Though we wanted to veer over and investigate, we saw the fins of the other student fading into the murk and had to follow.

Neither of us know what it was that we saw.

Anyone on SB know?

Thanks.

I believe Hopkins and MBARI routinely conduct experiments in that area that involve leaving monitoring devices, etc... in the water. Probably best (for the sake of the poor grad student on the other end) not to touch :p.

NOT a crab pot. More likely some sort of scientific monitoring device.

Rhlee: For sure we weren't going to touch or molest the thing in any way. We just wanted to be able to swim over to it and investigate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom