Manila, Philippines Safe??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I keep hearing from my Philippino friends how dangerous Manila is. Dont take me wrong, these are people who have gone back recently and or have family there as well. I keep hearing horrible stories about kidnapping, thieves, etc. And they know I have traveled in SE Asia before alone...and they warn me not go.

For me to reach Palau I have to catch a flight from Manila. So it seems I have to spend 1 or 2 nights there. Are the stories I am hearing exagerated? I heard it's even worse if you are of chinese descend.

I just dont want to wake up with a sore butt. :D

While certainly not the safest city in the world...as long as you are in the tourist areas and use sensible precautions (no expensive watch, camera, jewerly showing) you should be alright. I pass through there often and have never had any trouble or felt unsafe. Just stick to the malls and hotels and the well-lighted areas in the tourist belts at nite and you should be fine. Also, stick to the meter taxis or have the hotel or other person call an order one for you (avoid street hails). Avis is a good reputable taxi company.

Bikermaniac,
Do not worry. Manila the capital which is where you will probably be staying for a night or 2 while waiting for your flight is safe. And no being of chinese descent doesn't mean your not safe. I think your friends made some very hasty generalizations. The crimes that they have heard or experience here is no different from the things I have here that happen in New York including traffic :)

BikerManiac:
I keep hearing from my Philippino friends how dangerous Manila is. Dont take me wrong, these are people who have gone back recently and or have family there as well. I keep hearing horrible stories about kidnapping, thieves, etc. And they know I have traveled in SE Asia before alone...and they warn me not go.

For me to reach Palau I have to catch a flight from Manila. So it seems I have to spend 1 or 2 nights there. Are the stories I am hearing exagerated? I heard it's even worse if you are of chinese descend.

I just dont want to wake up with a sore butt. :D
in LA they have drive-bys everyday at all times of the day... and in NY you get mugged in the streets, park and subway...

manila is generally safe.

the kidnappings and stuff don't happen everyday and are limited to small ethnicized communities... you can be chairman mao and nobody will give a rat's behind

it's a fairly safe country that's very friendly towards foreigners, 98%+ english speaking citizens (100% in the city) makes it also very easy to get around...

stay away from the muslim centers and only go to the quiapo area with a trusty local guide and you'll be ok

Jag

Guys, NY is the safest large city in the US. When in Manhattan, wear your Rolex and flash your cash--even the drug dealers have been gentrified.

shugar:
... and in NY you get mugged in the streets, park and subway

Wow. Sounds like you had a rough visit the last time you were here.

New York has changed a lot in the past 30 years and is now actually the safest of America's 25 largest cities, ahead of places such as San Diego and Dallas. Out of America's 227 cities with a population of at least 100,000, New York's crime rate ranks 211.

If you compare the actual statistics, I'll take my chances in NYC over Manila any day.

I have to agree with manhattandiver and vladimir about NY. If I have to choose between the 2 cities, I'll take NY anytime over Manila. Having said that, Manila is not a dangerous city as what BikerManiac's friends are saying, its relatively safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom