Manila hotel for one nighter before transfer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was last in Manila airport Terminal one the yellow taxis were on the left and the coupon taxis were out on the far side of the road on the left side near the toilet block.

Like the others have said you pay a fixed price that is at a premium over the other taxis available but its the taxi drivers problem if he drives in circles looking for your hotel or something like that, you don't have to worry if he is taking the scenic route.

Most problems with the yellow taxis stem from tourists putting a little too much faith in the taxi driver being honest and turning on the meter without needing a gentle reminder.

What a condescending attitude!

1500php should get you 5x around the entire Metro Manila. It's a gross rip-off. It may mean nothing to you, but throwing your money around and fulfilling the stereotype of the dumb American tourist only serves to further encourage gross over-charging of visitors to the Philippines. That, ultimately, damages the Philippines and the way visitors view the place and people...

Dumb American...condescending attitude...throwing money around...wow Andy those are quite the statements over spending $35 vs $11.66 for a taxi from the airport to the hotel. I truely hope that there was something lost in the communication process and my statements were misinterpretted.

All that I was trying to convey was that a 1500 php ($35 USD) taxi is not that much out of line versus the 500 php ($11.66 USD) taxi coupon when you compare it to the airfare of getting from Minneapolis to Manilla (about $3100 for 2 persons). It comes out to about 1.13%. I do not think spending $35 for a taxi is being condensending or throwing money around...however, you might have a good point of being a dumb American :) It is just that based on mypast experiences and my value of $22 ($35-$11.66) is different than that of my Filipino friends who worked side by side with me, yet were paid a mere fraction of what I was. There was nothing condesending about it, nor do I feel that $22 is throwing money around. To my friends that $22 would go a long way in their lives, yet would not impact me on a trip of this magnitude.

I have never used the taxis as that I have always been picked up by friends. I suppose that if I were to use a taxi I would also use the coupon system.

Magandang araw sa'yo

~Oldbear~

Thank you for all the good advice. I value the input from the dive community. I think by working together we can really promote the Philippines as the premier dive destination it can be.

Dumb American...condescending attitude...throwing money around...wow Andy those are quite the statements over spending $35 vs $11.66 for a taxi from the airport to the hotel...

I hope you realize that's about 4 days salary for the 'average' Filipino. You can't see why your comments are condescending and insensitive?

Or why over-paying to that extent damages the Philippines?

dude.. if you can't see why your comment causes offence, then you seriously need some sensitivity lessons.. even for a westerner, I found what you said to be the worst kind of crass...

I hope you realize that's about 4 days salary for the 'average' Filipino. You can't see why your comments are condescending and insensitive?

Or why over-paying to that extent damages the Philippines?

dude.. if you can't see why your comment causes offence, then you seriously need some sensitivity lessons.. even for a westerner, I found what you said to be the worst kind of crass...

Whatever dude...you are entitled to your opinion...I'm out of here so feel free to take another shot across my bow.

Okay guys- all I wanted to know was a hotel recommendation for a one nighter in Manila and perhaps some taxi information for someone who has never used them there before, not to ignite a cultural/class fight. I appreciate what has been given me so far, and any more suggestions will be gratefully received. I do think that the coupon taxis are probably the best mix of economy and security for someone who doesn't know the area, especially when coming in at about midnight. Do the coupon taxi desks operate that late? Woody

Do the coupon taxi desks operate that late? Woody
It does and if it doesn't then there is always the yellow airport taxi.
BTW, I have noticed that you had used "we" to describe yourselves. So if there is more than one of you, you can consider:
Hang around at the airport(I do not recall there is anywhere to hang around at T1 and 2 though!) until 3-4am and then
a. Taxi to City State Tower Hotel(Si-Kat Transfer to PG).
b. Taxi to Buen Dia for the public bus to Batangas Pier.
c. Taxi to Batangas Pier(I won't pay more than P3,000.00 including toll).
d. Prearrange a transport to the Pier(~P3,500.00) by the resort at PG.

(d) would be my prefer choice as your group should have ample space(a van is usually provided) to catch no more than 2hrs of sleep.

Last edited:
Woody, I would recommend the coupon taxi. There is a taxi stand right as you are leaving the baggage claim area. The Heritage hotel in Manila is 2.5 miles from the airport. Very reasonable, you can get a room with breakfast and internet. This is where I usually stay if I have to overnight in Manila. It will cost you about $10 for the Taxi.
Glad to see your going back to the Philippines :)

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom