Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember these mandarins in front of the Hotel that belonged to the late Des Alwi, the "King of Banda" (The hotel is probably a ruin by now, Two years after he died it was already run down).
They were the fattest and shyless mandarin fish I had ever seen, don't need to go at sunset nor even take a dive equipment they were so big you could see them snorkeling from the surface even in the full afternoon sun.

I remember these mandarins in front of the Hotel that belonged to the late Des Alwi, the "King of Banda" (The hotel is probably a ruin by now, Two years after he died it was already run down).
They were the fattest and shyless mandarin fish I had ever seen, don't need to go at sunset nor even take a dive equipment they were so big you could see them snorkeling from the surface even in the full afternoon sun.

You are right about the site and shy less Mandarin fish.

I just came back from Malapascua. The Mandarin fish in Lighthouse site were very shy. At dusk, the minute you shine a light on them, they vanish.

My video light may have prevented the mating ritual. If you notice at time 2:57 to 3:00, after the female left the scene, the male of Mandarin fish ended up jerking his sperms off for 3 seconds 😝

Great video. I like how you put the species names on the video.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan
Great video. I like how you put the species names on the video.
Thanks!

I finally able to video the Mandarin fish mating ritual (which happens everyday at dusk), while I was in Malapascua, Philippines, last month.

Back
Top Bottom