Manatees in Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard that you weren't allowed to scuba with the manatees as they were afraid of bubbles. What's the deal with that? Do you snorkle with them and then scuba elsewhere?

Thanks

Aucilla:
I heard that you weren't allowed to scuba with the manatees as they were afraid of bubbles. What's the deal with that? Do you snorkle with them and then scuba elsewhere?

Thanks
The general interaction time with the manatees is done on snorkel. The ops that lead you or allow you to dive the Kings Spring cavern will be anchored around the main spring (just as for snorkeling), you swim almost into the sanctuary and drop down, some manatees hang around that area, but as long as you dont disturb them that is fine. I havent had one come near me while on scuba, but others have.

Maybe my experience was unusual, but I came to the conclusion that if "you" aren't the first one in Kings Spring cavern, the sediment will be so stirred up that viz will be under 5 feet.

If, no, when I go back to swim with the manatees, I won't even consider bringing scuba equipement along.

Three sisters was a pretty, but very shallow dive. I think I would just snorkel there, too.

del_mo:
Maybe my experience was unusual, but I came to the conclusion that if "you" aren't the first one in Kings Spring cavern, the sediment will be so stirred up that viz will be under 5 feet.
It depends what the previous divers were like in there, if they stayed off the bottom then it might be fine. The day i dove it there was loads of viz, but we were that first group and stayed off the bottom! I assume any group who went in after us found it pretty pristine. Being a spring (i believe there is a little flow) it would clear out reasonably well in a short amount of time.

My experience is like yours, Simon. I've gone in with excellent viz, then been there on the same day after a careless group and seen it go to hell. On that particular dive, we entered the main room, stayed off the bottom, waited a few minutes, and things cleared nicely. I tend to explore the small vents on the bottom anyway, so I don't need too much viz to feel comfortable.

The openings are a little narrow, so I can understand Manateetruth's concern over being trapped inside. When I was first learning about caverns, I used to have that sort of experience all the time, especially in places like Ginnie Cavern, where divers would line up in the anteroom. It's a little scary to be inside there, especially when the divers behind you aren't considerate enough to leave a clear path to the surface. Guess that's why folks should do a cavern course before going into these places.

As for operators, I've dived with American Pro (at Homosassa) and rented boats from Plantation Inn and the Port Hotel, with great experiences each time. I can't address the cattleboat mentality that Manateetruth describes because I haven't seen it up close. Most of the folks I've seen in the water in the CR area have been pretty respectful of the animals.

As to snorkeling vs scuba, I like to wear scuba into the springs, just so that I can look at the vents without freediving. I switch to snorkel when I'm interacting with the animals and don't seem to have any problems there. Sure, the scuba unit can be a little cumbersome at the surface, but I don't really notice it too much any more. (One note - the spring run into Three Sisters is a little harder with a scuba unit, and there's not too much to see in the vents, so I might not recommend it there, but otherwise, I like having options.)

Just a few thoughts,
Grier

To give a few more positive options I would also recommend Birds Under Water www.birdsunderwater.com 352-563-2763. They limit # of people on the boats and all of the divers that give the Kings Cavern tour are over head certified. This is not the case with some of the other operators.

I can second for birds- I went with them and found them great personally.

GrierHPharmD:
As for operators, I've dived with American Pro (at Homosassa) and rented boats from Plantation Inn and the Port Hotel, with great experiences each time.
Grier

Never dove with them, but I've been out twice with American Pro on Crystal River and had a great time both times. As it happened, both times it was only my wife and I on the boat!!!!!!!!!! Nothing like a "private" tour!!!!! Hoping to go back in December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom