Manatees in Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manateetruth

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got pretty burned by a dive shop that did Manatee tours with a dangerous dive included so I decided to go around and do them with everyone I could as I photograph them. I also needed to NOT be going into a little cavern with a bunch of new divers because I was bothered by the ones pinned to the top or kicking up the bottom and just basically blocking my way out if I had needed to leave.

I'll give any information on how to see Manatees in Crystal river to anyone who wants. I just ask that you care enough to not break the rules about interacting with them and that you don't engage in any unsafe diving.

I have a good list of rental boat companies that give you clear maps to the dive sites so you can go with responsible buddies and you don't need a map to the Manatees because they stay around sanctuaries which are right near the boat rental companies and you can see them from any point on shore anyway. We like to get a kayak from a dive shop located on the shore and paddle down to the sanctuaries.

For Manatee facts you can visit the various government sites so you know how to interact with them and all about them.

Manateesally

Manateetruth:
Hi all,

I got pretty burned by a dive shop that did Manatee tours with a dangerous dive included so I decided to go around and do them with everyone I could as I photograph them. I also needed to NOT be going into a little cavern with a bunch of new divers because I was bothered by the ones pinned to the top or kicking up the bottom and just basically blocking my way out if I had needed to leave.

I'll give any information on how to see Manatees in Crystal river to anyone who wants. I just ask that you care enough to not break the rules about interacting with them and that you don't engage in any unsafe diving.

I have a good list of rental boat companies that give you clear maps to the dive sites so you can go with responsible buddies and you don't need a map to the Manatees because they stay around sanctuaries which are right near the boat rental companies and you can see them from any point on shore anyway. We like to get a kayak from a dive shop located on the shore and paddle down to the sanctuaries.

For Manatee facts you can visit the various government sites so you know how to interact with them and all about them.

Manateesally

I can probably name the shop in question and you are spot on about their practices. Not all shops in CR are of the same mind set and there are some points to consider on why maybe to do the tour instead of on your own. The boat captains usually have a wealth of knowledge of not only the Manatees but the area and other wild life as well. They good shops take a video of the experience which you can preview and purchase for a keep sake. The good shops have hot chocolate for those cold days. The shops also get to know the Manatees and will take you to the ones that generally like to interact. Of course there are upsides of doing it on your own as well, I just thought I might throw this out FYI.

Bobby

First - i moved the thread to the FCD forum as it is better placed here than general travel.

Second - i apologise if this sounds bad, but i dont know if English is your first or second language and i found your accusations/comments hard to follow. Are you saying you saw these practices or were part of the group. Did you do the cavern dive or just saw these divers in there? There are many shops in that area that rent pontoon boats and others that take you on guided tours with the manatees or inside the Kings Spring cavern - most that i have seen have been playing within the rules regarding the manatees and seem to have some consideration for the rules regarding the cavern - but not 100% compliance.

What are you actually saying about one or more of these operations? What exactly does "go around and do them with everyone I could as I photograph them" mean? Were you going around with a camera trying to find fault with how these guys operated? There are FDEP officers on kayaks around the area who try to police what goes on every morning, but they havent got eyes everywhere. I have seen many snorkelers watch the videos and then almost attack the manatees when they come out, there are just so many of them who want to be the one to touch one etc - i just waited for them to come to me away from the crowds and after those crowds had left, but its hard to control a large group who are there to try to pet a manatee and are a little overenthusiastic about such interactions - i commend you on your stand to try to inform people.

To turn this into a positive thread, are there any dive shops or outfits that you would recommend for Crystal river? I find my way down that direction about every year but have never dove or snorkeled there. Would certainly like to sometime.

TIA,

or just in the winter??

I think my family would LOVE to snorkel with the Manatee's IF they are there in the spring/Summer (June). Any dive shops that people DO recommend?

Ron

Manateetruth:
Hi all,

Manateesally

We rented a Jon boat from Crystal Lodge Dive Center: www.manatee-central.com . They also do tours. I found them to be very professional. I think you'll find the chance of finding manatees in the summer to be somewhat slim. While some manatees do make Crystal River their year round home, many more arrive during the cold months to stay "warm" in the 72 degree water.

Hon, I'm sorry if I don't type too well. I video and photograpgh Manatees, not people (in the water at least). You are right. There are lots of Fish & Wildlife people around and I leave the police work up to them but you are so right that people upset the Manatees without seeming to care. They are wonderful animals and we all must do what we can.

Let's turn it to a positive thread. I found Crystal Lodge to have very nice boats as did the person below. The santuaries are of course right near by. You can rent a boat from them or take a guided tour from their boat captains.

I still think it's a good idea to learn all you can before you go to see the Manatees and there are so many sites with information that it is easy to do. I respect your opinion and there are some very nice tour companies as you mentioned. However, I'm sure we can all agree in any business there will always be one that might be not so nice. And since we have spent 300 billion or so to bring the right to speak or write your mind to Iraq, I'm sure it's fine if I say nice things about some companies and don't mention the ones I don't happen to care for by name. Yes?

Manatee Sally

simbrooks:
First - i moved the thread to the FCD forum as it is better placed here than general travel.

Second - i apologise if this sounds bad, but i dont know if English is your first or second language and i found your accusations/comments hard to follow. Are you saying you saw these practices or were part of the group. Did you do the cavern dive or just saw these divers in there? There are many shops in that area that rent pontoon boats and others that take you on guided tours with the manatees or inside the Kings Spring cavern - most that i have seen have been playing within the rules regarding the manatees and seem to have some consideration for the rules regarding the cavern - but not 100% compliance.

What are you actually saying about one or more of these operations? What exactly does "go around and do them with everyone I could as I photograph them" mean? Were you going around with a camera trying to find fault with how these guys operated? There are FDEP officers on kayaks around the area who try to police what goes on every morning, but they havent got eyes everywhere. I have seen many snorkelers watch the videos and then almost attack the manatees when they come out, there are just so many of them who want to be the one to touch one etc - i just waited for them to come to me away from the crowds and after those crowds had left, but its hard to control a large group who are there to try to pet a manatee and are a little overenthusiastic about such interactions - i commend you on your stand to try to inform people.

Manateetruth:
Hon, I'm sorry if I don't type too well. I video and photograpgh Manatees, not people (in the water at least). You are right. There are lots of Fish & Wildlife people around and I leave the police work up to them but you are so right that people upset the Manatees without seeming to care. They are wonderful animals and we all must do what we can.

Let's turn it to a positive thread. I found Crystal Lodge to have very nice boats as did the person below. The santuaries are of course right near by. You can rent a boat from them or take a guided tour from their boat captains.

I still think it's a good idea to learn all you can before you go to see the Manatees and there are so many sites with information that it is easy to do. I respect your opinion and there are some very nice tour companies as you mentioned. However, I'm sure we can all agree in any business there will always be one that might be not so nice. And since we have spent 300 billion or so to bring the right to speak or write your mind to Iraq, I'm sure it's fine if I say nice things about some companies and don't mention the ones I don't happen to care for by name. Yes?

Manatee Sally
Sally it appears you have cleared up a few things, i am also glad you want to put a positive spin on this. Your first post (welcome to the board BTW) sounded a little strong, i can understand your passion regarding these issues, and about any interaction with nature, but this is one of the few places it seems it is allowed with the "police" around - almost anywhere else the manatees go for the winter are state parks with stricter rules - i guess they never made it to Crystal River. When it comes to interactions in state parks, people go there wanting to dive and sometimes arent allowed due to the manatees being around, even if you dont want to interact with them you arent allowed into the water! Anyway, onto the operators around there, plenty of smaller outfits and private fleets of rentals, but i feel that the ones most likely to have troubles are the larger operations who send several boats out at the same time and cant control the masses they send into the water. They are commercial by nature, and want the business, so although they make the snorkelers watch the video, its a personal responsibility issue as to whether the swimmers harass the manatees - which it often appears that they do and makes me shudder to think about. If you are a researcher or document such things about these animals (and any others) i invite you to tell us your findings, help make those aware (in a civil manner of course) of the troubles and maybe put some info into the ecology forum where marine life is discussed (recently there was a thread on a manatee being run down - not the first).

I will add my recommendation to Crystal Lodge Dive Center, and especially Captain Andy. We did a guided tour with them two weeks ago and loved it. They were very professional and stressed proper conduct around the Manatees both during the briefing/video and on the boat on the way out.

They are a 1st class operation in my book and I would not hesitate to go again with them.

I also enjoyed our FCD group trip with Capt Suzie Holstead (who is on the board too), she took us away from the crowds and seemed concerned that we didnt herd around like some of the larger operations.

I forgot to mention, we had a discussion on the Kings Spring cavern during the lead up to that group dive. There were concerns raised about running lines, being trained and such, but there are many cavern dives in Florida you can do without an overhead cert, its hard to police and providing people have some skills and awareness it isnt as inherently unsafe as many other cavern dives around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom