Manatee Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I have a few manatee questions and I figured this was the place to ask.

Where is the best place to snorkel with the manatees?

When is the best time of year to go? I was told Nov-Feb.

What are the water temps in the rivers?

Thanks, from a manatee newb!:D

best place is probably Crystal River. the winter months are the best
(Nov. to Feb sounds about right).

the water temps stay around 70-degrees year round (which is why the manatees
like to hang out here). you can expect water temps from 65 to 70 degrees, depending
on where you are in the bay.

i've gone on several manatee snorkels with Birds Underwater, and would reccomend them:

http://www.birdsunderwater.com/

try to get the earliest time available. before 9:00 is ideal, as that's when the
cattle boats show up with tons of people.

Thanks! We may plan our trip for next winter!

When you book, ask them where you will be going. The two most popular spots on Crystal River are Kings Spring and Three Sisters Springs. We were up a couple of weeks ago and ran into quite a few at Three Sisters, viz was also pretty good because Three Sisters has such a voluminous output.

I had really good luck with American Pro Dive Center in Crystal River. They also do a manatee swim in Homosassa, just down the road, which was a great location as well. The day we did Homosassa we ran into about 15 to 20 manatees while the people who did Crysal River didn't see one.

I 2nd H2Andys Birds Underwater they are on the water,,as some major shops must bus you in from their shopping mall location,by that time the vis is cut in half , and well you get it?
Nice folks, nice staff,nice shop,
have fun!
Brad

Birds is expensive. Rent a boat and go out yourself. The sites are easy to find and you'll save a bundle. The Port Hotel & Marina Dive Center is on the water right by Kings Bay Spring 352-795-7234. Crystal Lodge Dive Center also rents boats right on the water, but it's farther (very close to Birds) from Kings Bay 352-795-6798. You'll save lots of money and probably have a much better time. Both places give you a map to the sites.

I would go with Walter's suggestion. Port hotel and marina is a stone throw away from kings spring. Heck I saw manatees (a family) while standing on the shore at the port hotel and marina, I didn't even need to get wet if I didn't want to. You can get a jon boat or pontoon from them and drive it for a whole 3 minutes to go see some manatees. :)

Matt

Walter:
Birds is expensive. Rent a boat and go out yourself. The sites are easy to find and you'll save a bundle.

true

not an option for me, since i've never driven a motorboat and don't really
know what to do. it's probably easy... but... i'm sure i'll manage to strand
myself in the middle of nowhere

hey... that's a deal!

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom