Manatee questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't worry about there being no manatees- the season has been quite cold this year here in Florida-early march should be great.

metaldector:
Manatees are usually in the river in March. As the water warms up they leave. Now I've been in the Crystal River with Manatees and because I have my own boat have never used Bird's or American Pro, so I can't tell you which to use. But, yesterday (Jan. 25th) I was at Blue Spring, in Orange City diving and 70 manatees were in the spring discharge. Cost? $10.70 per diver. And as One-bright-gator said. "Its 3 hours" to and from Ginnie. Come on down and enjoy the water!

I'm not familiar with the area. We were thinking of going to Ginnie, as we plan to dive Ginnie the day before we swim with manatees, so we were going to go back because we would've gained some familiarity. But, as you point out, that's a lot of driving. Do you have suggestions for a fun diving spot for OW divers closer to crystal river for a post-manatee dive?

Jim

Hi Jim,
closer to crystal river, firstly, you can also dive in the Kings bay- which is where the manatee tours go to-they take you to a different spot after the manatee snorkel. The area is nice enough, but not wonderful.
There is also devils den
http://www.devilsden.com/
and blue grotto
http://www.divebluegrotto.com/
which are both next to each other, about an hour north of Crystal river and Ok for OW divers. Of the two, I would go for devils den if you will have already done the Ginne springs, as it is pretty cool to step into the sink hole type entrance. Blue grotto is OK, but from what I am told, if you have already done Ginnie, it will be a dissapointment. Both places are $27 pp for diving.
If you have any other questions, post back up. Have fun.

I'm going to be in the Orlando area in May... Is there any place to snorkel with the manatee's at that time? I wouldn't mind driving .... First time in FL.. and think this would be an awesome experience from what I've heard!

My wife & I went with Birds Underwater (Crystal River) on March 3. We were very impressed with the operation.

We arrived at 6am, and found that the dive shop was already bustling with activity & others arriving. Two boats went out, one with 13 snorkelers, the other (led by Bird) with 10. We headed right to the main spring, and within a short time, manatees were spotted. Our boat of snorkelers slipped into the water, and soon had several manatees to play with. Bird led his boat onward, and he reluctantly brought it back to the main spring about 45 minutes later because manatees were scarce in any of the other locations he likes to go. He apologized as he asked if we would mind his snorkelers joining our group, but there were plenty to go around & we were pleased to share the wealth.

After an hour or so, the nippy 72 degree water was beginning to chill us. We took a break on the boat, warmed up with hot chocolate, coffee, and doughnuts, and slipped back in to play a bit more. When we were ready to head out to another site, the boats from other operations were just starting to arrive.

We went on to Three Sisters, a neat little area to snorkel & explore. No manatees to be found, but we enjoyed the water & the environment.

After we were well-saturated, we headed back to the shop, getting back around 11am. My wife & I chose not to be tempted by the $30 video of our experience, so we didn't hang around to watch it, but the little clip I saw was very good quality.

Overall, an outstanding operation. Would not hesistate to go out with them again. They were professional, organized, and best of all - EARLY. We enjoyed having over an hour to play with the manatees ourselves before the next boats were even on the horizon.

Jim

excellent dive report! glad you enjoyed.

i can't praise Birds enough either.

Hi,
I did the snorkeling tour with Birds Underwater in April 2003 and they were great. I aslo did my OW check out dives with them and they were very patient with me and very accomodating as I was supposed to do them in Venice Fl but the weather wouldn't cooperate. I would recommend them to you. The manatees were so awesome.
Colleen
:mermaid:

Any manataee updates? I am in FL for the week and was thinking about some Manatee snorkelling on Thursday or Friday (April 1 or 2). It has been 8 days since my last manatee encounter (I help clean the tanks at the Cincinnati Zoo twice a month). I was a manatee mattress as I had a sleeping manatee land on my head. Quite a blubbery tummy.

some of the guys at the Florida Conch Divers were diving Crystal River this weekend;
they should be back by tonight.

you might want to pm them for details (Deepseawolf was the chief culprit).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom