Manatee is hit and killed by boat in Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JC Fedorczyk:
Here's an off topic question.... As sad as it is to suggest why don't they make the diving flag more recognizable? A big picture of a diver or snorkel and fins. Something that the idiot boaters could recognize. I realize boaters are supposed to know what the dive flag is but lets appeal to the lowest intelligence here....Don't know if it would help though. Some people are just inconsiderate. Is it a failure to recognize what's around them or just stupidity? I know I know... both.

Nothing wrong with using one of those inflatable flag floats that says "Diver Below". $40 at Diver's Direct...

Public calls for water safety unit.
Crystal River, Florida (Newswire)

The Crystal River Water Safety Commission is pleased to announce the creation of the Crystal River Manatee/Diver Protection Unit. Due to the the recent publicity regarding manatee deaths and holiday boating traffic, a new unit of law enforcement has been created to assess and reduce the risks to wildlife and tourists in and on the water this holiday season.
"It's a trial program that we're hoping saves lives," states Sgt. Greg MacKenzie. "The Unit", as it is being referred to, will observe, pursue and confront boaters who create dangerous situations for people and wildlife in the upper run of the Crystal River Estuary. "If we can save one diver's life, or one endangered manatee, it's all worth it," states MacKenzie. "How would you feel if a loved one was struck and killed by a boater under the influence, or paralyzed for life from the neck down, just because somebody feels the need for speed."
The new unit has already begun patrolling in the King's Bay area. "We have one craft in the water already working 24/7. By mid-January, we hope to have at least two more." The craft are outfitted with sub-surface sonar imaging and radar tracking devices that allow them to activate "disablers" that stop the boaters vehicle in its tracks when activated. "Think of them like little torpedoes, if you will," stated MacKenzie.
"Our attitude is, that could be or family out there, how would you react?"

This article courtesy of the Crystal River Bulletin Times
The Author may be reached at GeraldNiedermeierHoffsteaderburger@idjit.org
Note: This is a joke article for you slow people.

If its any consolation I'm still working on the FWSC - its not so easy to get one of these sort of groups together man.

Nice Forum and nice threads!

It is not only in places such as Florida that suffer. Even with better legislation bad

things can possibly occur!

I went to Shark Bay in (W. AUS) a year ago.....

No fishing and pretty much no boats allowed EXCEPT the tour boats!!

We went on one, (a sail boat) and by dint of the slowness had double the time we'd paid for .

Whether I saw less or more is hard to say as I wasn't on the other boat but YES the tour was enjoyable. I saw all ther was to offer and the only organisms I saw to suffer was some sea grass on the center board.

Out of the blue though another boat or wave piercer, (meaning sharp fronted cat) blasted past at full steam!!

I was mortified, this was a marine reserve!! As Archman, (SB employee) pointed out in the riding mantas post pointed out, (and well so!)

RECREATIONAL INTEREST AND OVER EXPLOTIATION CAN BE AND IS A POSSIBLE PROBLEM!
(Archman this is my interpretation if this is incorrect please freE to exercise controls and move this post)

If this is what happeng in 'legislated' areas what hope can there be long term...

With that in mind please please be selective when choosing supposed ecotours..

Yes, GOD FORBID the bloody boat owners should have to slow down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soapbox:

AAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whack: Why should they HAVE to put a temporary sign up????? Can't these idiots slow down anyway???? :censored:

We've done the tours twice through American Pro. Highlight of my life.

Back
Top Bottom