Manatee Hordes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife went fishing today with an old friend of ours on his small boat. While they were out on the ocean, he said that a few days before, when the wind was whipping as it had been for days, he spent some time fishing on the intracoastal, near the Hillsborough inlet. He told her he encountered something he had never seen before in his decades in Florida--manatees everywhere. He said he must have seen 200 while he was fishing.

When they were done with their frustrating day trying to catch fish on the ocean, they came in through the Hillsborough inlet and headed north a little over one mile to his slip. Suddenly there were manatees everywhere. All the boats in the area slowed to a crawl, and they had to weave their way through the clusters of manatees. My wife said they saw at least three dozen in the one mile + from the inlet to the slip. When they got there, other boaters said they had seen similar sights. One talked about starting his engines in the slip and having a mother and pup come out from under his boat.

I saw a few last week in the vicinity of Terramar Island just a little north of the Cypress Creek Road and Intracoastal Waterway.

Chug
not using a harpoon.

Saw one two nights ago after the real cold day in the Key Largo Holiday Inn Marina in front of the Holiday Inn. That day we happened to do a shore dive at Canon Beach and also in Jules. Canon Beach water was 59. Jules was 64 So Marina was probably a little warmer than out in the shallows over the grass beds.

Flood of manatees closes down Florida spring - GrindTV.com

manateesfla-copy.jpg

Last edited:
That is a cool picture when you think about the manatees.

The person who owned the boat mentioned in my opening post has wintered in Florida for decades, and as an avid fisherman throughout that time, he has spent many hours on the water, both in the ocean and the intracoastal. He said he has never seen such a thing there. My total time in Florida is only over the last 15 years and only totals about a year combined. I have not yet seen a dozen manatees in the intracoastal in that entire time. I wonder what is going on, and perhaps some native Floridian can shed some light on it.

That could explain it. The last month has been really cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom