Manado Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am currently booked to go to Tulamben for five days in September, then 13 days at NAD Lembeh, including a 10-day underwater photo workshop. I just saw news that Bali won't open until October, so that means Tulamben is a no go. I'm still hoping for Lembeh in mid-September. If it does work, then I want to dive in the Manado area for five days before going to NAD Lembeh to replace Tulamben. I'm an older female traveling alone so I want to make the trip as easy as I can for myself in terms of handling luggage and scuba and camera gear. Does anyone have recommendations for a good place to stay in the Manado area? I primarily am a macro photographer, but probably will bring my fisheye lens, too.

Consider getting over to Bangka instead if you can. I've stayed at Murex both at Monado and at Bangka and been reasonably satisfied, with a caveat on making sure which cabin you get at Murex Bangka. In these regards, it needs to be said that the divers need to wade into the boats from shore, for both boarding and deboarding. This can be a chore or even somewhat dangerous if seas are sporty.

As yet, I've not stayed at Bastianos new resort on Bangka but it looks good to me, with a pool and a dock for boarding and deboarding.

Then again, it's going to be very difficult for Bastianos to beat the beach beauty of Murex Bangka and their shore dive site.

Does anyboy expects that traveling from the USA to Indonesia will be possible this September (2020)? Would be great for us. But I really cannot see now how this will happen. And if it is possible again to travel to Indonesia, I presume the first part to open would be Bali. At least, if they can keep the numbers (realistic or not) of Covid-19 as low as they are now. Personally my impression is that it just starts here in Indonesia (as in most parts of the world). Laurie I think you have to consider a plan B for your holidays.

There is a nice little family run resort on Bangka called Nomad Divers that, because it lacks the deep pockets of the larger resorts, is threatened by the current difficulties. I have been there twice and have had a wonderful experience both above and below water. Their prices are the best on the island. About an hour and a half from Manado airport via taxi and boat. They can also arrange transfer from Lembeh. Do yourself and them a favor by checking them out.

I already have Plan B in place. I'm going on a Southern Caribbean cruise in December. If my Indonesia trip doesn't happen, I will go back next year. Also thinking about Hawaii, Fiji, and southeast Australia for February. Really need to photograph a sea dragon.

Consider getting over to Bangka instead if you can. I've stayed at Murex both at Monado and at Bangka and been reasonably satisfied, with a caveat on making sure which cabin you get at Murex Bangka. In these regards, it needs to be said that the divers need to wade into the boats from shore, for both boarding and deboarding. This can be a chore or even somewhat dangerous if seas are sporty.

As yet, I've not stayed at Bastianos new resort on Bangka but it looks good to me, with a pool and a dock for boarding and deboarding.

Then again, it's going to be very difficult for Bastianos to beat the beach beauty of Murex Bangka and their shore dive site.

I have not been to Murex Bangka since 2008, so I have no idea if it's still like this, but was great diving, and you your huts can be right on the beach. It was rustic, and there was never enough food to go around, and cold drinks were worth their weight in gold, but. after a week you got used to it. I was lucky/smart I purchased a lot of snacks on the trip to the shuttle boat, otherwise it would have been a crash diet, after spending 4-5 hours in the water every day. The photos look the same as it was 12 years ago.

Bjs

I have not been to Murex Bangka since 2008, so I have no idea if it's still like this, but was great diving, and you your huts can be right on the beach. It was rustic, and there was never enough food to go around, and cold drinks were worth their weight in gold, but. after a week you got used to it. I was lucky/smart I purchased a lot of snacks on the trip to the shuttle boat, otherwise it would have been a crash diet, after spending 4-5 hours in the water every day. The photos look the same as it was 12 years ago.

Bjs

Food became more plentiful. I was never left hungry from lack of food but depending on who was on-site managing often determined the level of my enjoyment of that food.

The diving must have been really remarkable in 2008!

Many operators might not be around when Indonesia opens for international travelling again!

Many operators might not be around when Indonesia opens for international travelling again!

Yes, sadly true

But let's keep a positive thought

Back
Top Bottom