Man of War on New Jersey Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yo, Agilis!

Check this out: A potentially deadly Portuguese man o'war washed up on the Harvey Cedars beach Sunday

Will you put down your sword long enough to enlighten a few of us local divers as to the "tropical season" in NJ. Is it here yet???

A day or two of North to NE winds this time of year will blow in all sorts of Gulf Stream tropical life. Some will persist and some will perish, largely depending on what the water temp floor stabilizes at. Somewhere in the mid 60s is usually adequate to keep the Butterfly Fish, Lookdowns, Trunkfish, Spiny Boxfish, Groupers and all the rest quite comfortable, especially when average temps hold around 70. Local seahorses are already being seined in the bays by grass shrimp bait collectors,, and the numerous seahorses that the Gulf Stream brings in should be arriving soon.

Mid to late July is typical, but this varies based on prevailing wind direction. We should soon be seeing the occasional small Lionfish, and even sea turtles in the inlets. As soon as I can get the ENT pronounce this hellish ear infection healed and the urologist to rid me of residual kidney stone debris, I'll be in the water, and will hopefully get to dive with you, if you don't mind diving with an ignorant old crank using obsolete equipment.

In any event, I'm out of here.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved from another thread...

Not really deadly, at least in comparison to a trip down the northern turnpike. But they will get your attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom