Man O Wars today at Kamaole II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kris-I was just relaying what I learned in NOAA training and from UH dive office training. The world seems to be rather wishy washy on proper treatment with no one has offered a solution that everyone can agree on. It seems no matter what you do, it will hurt like hell for a bit, then a day later you might get little itchy bumps.
How recent was this training?

I do recall it was sometime in the past few years that DAN revised the MOW recommendations based on scientific studies as to how the nematocysts behave, as well as rates of infection due to use of non-medical agents (e.g. meat tenderizer).

Ultimately, you're right about the hurts like hell, then maybe itchy bumps -- the goal, however is minimize this. We won't eliminate it, but with any luck we can reduce the reaction and perhaps prevent possible anaphylactic shock.

I'm just finishing up with the training right now, so fairly recent. The instructors didn't sound 100% on their answers, not that they weren't up to date, but that nobody really knows the "best" first response. About the only thing about MOW stings that they were pretty sure about was that peeing on yourself wasn't the best first response. Again, I cannot be sure how recent their information was. As much as it was government training, it was taught by people who also maintain lives and families and obligations and who might have missed the memo in the middle of the two inch thick stack of paperwork they had to fill out.

I'm just finishing up with the training right now, so fairly recent. The instructors didn't sound 100% on their answers, not that they weren't up to date, but that nobody really knows the "best" first response. About the only thing about MOW stings that they were pretty sure about was that peeing on yourself wasn't the best first response. Again, I cannot be sure how recent their information was. As much as it was government training, it was taught by people who also maintain lives and families and obligations and who might have missed the memo in the middle of the two inch thick stack of paperwork they had to fill out.
When in doubt, check with DAN.

Their recommendations are based on scientific evidence, not anecdotal proof.

well I have nothing intelliigent to add on the subject.only met one. and it was so long ago all i remember was thinking i was getting shock treatment. when i saw a tiny wire like thing around my wrist were the pain was increasing like the smart guy i am i used my other bare hand to unrap it. :rofl3: it only took a second to enjoy the same shock in that hand. now im thrashing around like that chick in that movie(any movie pick one) and it s now on both hands. finally i escape. and spot this little blob in the water. MOW. that was my first day cleaning boat bottoms five or six years ago.all I knew about diving was never hold your breath.

um question I dont remember the bumps. or if i got them so my question is are they very small bumps that are in patches that pop when you scratch them and they itch all the time?

They itch like hell on me a couple days after I get stung. Way worse than mosquito or sand fly bites.

um question I dont remember the bumps. or if i got them so my question is are they very small bumps that are in patches that pop when you scratch them and they itch all the time?

I didnt get any bumps. the area was sore. If i remember correctly there was a very thin small area that appeared to be bruised a little but no bumps or rash. in the palces i got stung. May be the severity of the hit???? Or its different for each individual ?????

I got tagged with Fire coral in the Keys many,many moons ago. and that was by far worse. That was horrible stuff. Within a minute my forearm was swollen like i had a softball inside it. It was horrible. When we got out my CD told me to spray this stuff on it. Iasked what it was and he said dont worry about it just spray it. I did and in 10 minutes the majority of the swelling and pain was gone. all i really had left was a BIG, BIG bruise. I was so excited. I bugged him about what it was. He told me "Half Pnemonia( I butchered the spelling) Half alcohol". He said "DR.'s will tell you not to use it but it works better than anything they'll give you"
And that it did very well.

Probably half AMMONIA and half alcohol. I don't think you can spray pneumonia unless you're very sick and cough :)
Have used ammonia on bee stings before. Old family treatment. I think I'd just as soon drink the alcohol!
Mark

half alcohol. Old family treatment. I think I'd just as soon drink the alcohol!
Mark

Just be sure to read the label first. We don't want to read in the New Diver's forum, "yeah, I had this really good instructor named Howard...but it was so weird. He was blind" !! :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom